Chapter 28: The Proposal

Six Months Later

As soon as I got the news, I called Dhruva.
"I got promoted" was the first thing I told him excitedly, as soon as he picked up.

"I knew it! You deserve it, honey." He replied as excited as I.

"Thank you! Let's celebrate."

"And celebrate we will. I have already planned a surprise for you. Go to your room as you get home. Your present awaits you."

"Ohhh, Dhruva! Really? You didn't have to."

"Of course I did! You deserve this and more."

After talking for a few more minutes, we hung up. I was giddy with excitement, wanting to know what he had planned.

After working for a while, I decided to take a leave. My boss had permitted a half-day. My colleagues congratulated me on my promotion as I left office.

I quickly rushed home, not being able to contain my excitement. As I entered my room, I saw there was a present on top of my bed. It had the tag "Open me first". As I got near, I realised there was an envelope by its side.

Deciding to go with the instructions, I opened the box. Dhruva had gotten me a burgundy cape jumpsuit. Very Fancy! He knew I favoured comfort over everything.
This got me smiling. He was so thoughtful. Next, I opened the envelope. It had a letter. I opened it and started reading.

Meri pyari Yaya,
Hi gorgeous!
I am sure, after reading the first line, you must have thought about the letters. The ones I gave you years ago. Frankly, I am so thankful to my therapist that she suggested that I write to you. Or else we wouldn't have been together. I mean, we would've. But the letters sure helped. So, I thought, why not give you one more, to tell you how proud I am of you.
I knew you would get promoted, honey. The company had to as you had worked so hard for it. You deserved it. Congratulations!
Like I must have already told you, I have planned a surprise for you. And no, I am not gonna tell you even if you keep asking me. So, don't ask. Just enjoy. It is your day. And I am going to make it extra special for you.
So, without further ado, get dressed in that pretty jumpsuit I've got you. Go get more beautiful than you already do. I will be arriving soon to pick you up.
Will be there soon. Love you so much!
Yours forever,
Dhruva.

My eyes became moist reading the letter. But I had no time to waste. He would be here soon. Before he came, I quickly made my way towards the closet and grabbed the small present. Dhruva had been a constant support, always encouraging me and pushing me forward to achieve my dreams. I trusted him with whatever he had planned.

Dhruva arrived by the time I was ready. He was dressed formally. He greeted me with a hug and gave me flowers.

"Congratulations, darling."

"Thank you so much!"

"C'mon, let's go. We don't have time to waste."

We made our way towards his car and got in. He started driving immediately. Our car ride was filled with nonsense chatter. It wasn't until later I realised that we were heading into the woods.

Smirking at him, I asked, "So am I supposed to be cliche and ask you if you are going to kill me?"

"Only you would say such a thing." He replied while laughing.

We reached a beautiful cottage. It gave off a very rustic and homey feel. As we made it inside, I saw it was beautifully decorated. 'Congratulations' banner was hung. Dhruva took my hands and dragged me in the middle of the room.

"Wait a moment," he said. "Come on out, everyone!"

Our family and friends came out of hiding.
"Cheers to this beautiful lady. Congratulations on the promotion."

Everyone cheered. My smile had gotten so big after seeing everyone.

"Wait. There's more."

He rushed to grab a guitar. On cue, he started singing me a song. When the song ended, he took my hand in his and bent on one knee.

I gasped.

"Arya, I love you so much. I am so proud of you. So lucky that you gave me a second chance. I am really thankful for that. Both of us have grown a lot these past few years. Closer than we have ever been. You have always been there for me as my anchor. I've seen glimpses of how our future could be together. I really want to spend the rest of my life with you. Cannot imagine without you in it. I am not gonna bore you with the more sappy stuff. Will get straight to the point. Will you, Arya Pandit, make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

With a teary smile, I exclaimed, "YES! Of course, yes!"

Our parents rushed to congratulate us.
My parents, due to their jobs, stayed in another city. But I was happy that they could make it for this important day.
Next were our friends.

After a round of hugs, I dragged Dhruva in the centre again. I took out the velvet box that I had kept in my pocket.

"I have something I would like to add."
Everyone became silent and waited for what I wanted to say.

"You guys knew about his surprise, but you didn't know mine."

With that, I sunk on my knees, took out the platinum engagement ring I had especially customised for Dhruva and asked for his hand. Everyone stared wide-eyed.

"Dhruva, even though you proposed first, I want to tell you that I had planned this too. You have been a constant support. My anchor. Always pushing me to achieve my dreams. You've been there for my highs and my lows. I am fortunate to have you in my life. I love you so much. And I just accepted your proposal, but still, would you do the honour to be my husband?"

"I mean, you've already accepted, so it's not like I have a choice, now do I?"

All of us laughed.

"YES!!"

_______________________________________

Author's Note:
Hello guys!
I hope you loved reading it as much as I loved writing it.
Only one last chapter to go.
Vote. Share. Comment.
Thanks for reading!
- Mitali