Chapter 13: The accident

It was the month of July.
Mumbai faced heavy rains and waterlogging during the rainy season.

Today was not different. I knew I was already going to be late for work when I woke up late. I just wished that the roads were not packed with traffic.

But, luck was not on my side today. The highway was jammed. I was literally at the exact same spot for 15 minutes. I was getting frustrated. I started questioning myself as to why I chose to travel by car today. Finally, I was out of it after 30 mins when I took a turn.

Again after a while, I came to a stop. I got out of the traffic just to get stuck again. After enquiring the others around, I learned that there had been an accident a few cars ahead at the signal. Apparently, a biker hit a person crossing the road at the red light.

I decided to get out of the car and check the situation. As I made my way ahead, I saw that a guy was lying in a pool of blood while the crowd surrounded him. Ambulance hadn't arrived. People had already caught the biker guy and held him till the cops came.

I was just about to ask a man whether the ambulance was called when I got a glimpse of the person's face who was involved in the accident. To say I was shocked was an understatement.

"DHRUVA!" I screamed and made my way towards him, pushing through the crowd.

People tried to stop me, but when I told them I knew the guy they let me go. I was in full-on panic mode but somehow managed to calm myself and asked, "Ambulance?"

Someone replied, "I have called, but it is stuck in traffic."

Just then, fortunately, the police arrived. I took their permission to take Dhruva to the City Hospital after assuring them that I knew him. A lady constable accompanied me. When the others helped to carry him to my car, I called Priyank and asked him to inform his family. He promised he would arrive soon. When that was done, I rushed to the hospital.

********************************************

At the hospital:

As the police constable was with me, Dhruva was admitted immediately. The doctors were looking after him, while I waited outside.

Everyone was informed, and they came rushing into the hospital. While Dhruva's parents were at the doctor's cabin, the rest of us decided to wait in the waiting room.

His elder brother, Atharva sat beside me. "I have no idea what is it with the hospital and the two of you."

Everyone stopped the conversation when they heard him say it and looked at him confused. This was the first time this happened. So, why was he saying this?

"I am sorry for everything. It was my fault."

"What?"

"I still remember the day when the both of you were going to meet to confess that you liked each other."

On hearing this, my whole body tensed. I don't think Atharva realised that as he continued.

"Dhruva was so happy. I was at the office when he called me and informed me of this. He was talking non-stop about the grand plans he had made for you. He was so excited to meet you and finally ask you to be his girlfriend. Constantly asking me what to do, how to dress up, what gift to get for you. You should have seen him then. I had never seen him so happy. He was so happy when he left the house to meet you."

"WHAT?!", exclaimed everyone.

"What do you mean?", I exclaimed shocked.

Dhruva left to meet me?

Atharva came to the realisation. "He still hasn't told you, has he?"

All of us wanted to know what happened, so we kept asking him.

"I think he should be the one telling you. Just know that I am sorry for everything."

With that, he left us to talk to his parents.
Everyone was speechless. By the look on everyone's face, it sufficed to say that all were remembering that fateful day too.

What exactly happened that day?

__________________________________________

Author's Note:
Hello guys!
I hope you liked it. What do you think happened?
Stay tuned to find out.
Thanks for reading!
- Mitali