Chapter 25: It's a date?

"Wanna hang out?"

The words kept ringing in my ears. I got out of the trance when I heard Dhruva repeat my name.

"Arya? Arya!"

"Huh?"

"You ok?"

"Yea. I'm fine. Sorry I spaced out for a moment there. What were you saying?"

"I asked if you wanted to hang out."

"Zia didn't tell me we had plans when she texted in the morning."

"I meant just the two of us."

"Oh. Like a date?"

"As friends, of course. It has been a while since we've hung out."

"Yea. Actually."

"So what say? Movie and then dinner. Unless, of course, you want to do something el...."

I interrupted him. "No, that's fine by me. Which movie? What time?"

"There's the new Marvel movie at 7. Will you be able to make it?"

"Yea, I think so. Our usual theatre, right?"

"Yup."

"Ok, will be there soon."

"I'll book our tickets then. See you soon."

"Bye. See you."

The movie and dinner went amazingly well. Dhruva looked a bit tense but was trying to act normal. When I asked him about it, he dismissed the thought, saying it was his nerves.

"Arya. I just wanted to confess something."

I immediately tensed when I heard him say that.

Taking a deep breath, he continued.

"I wrote you letters because I couldn't convey what I wanted to. I know we haven't talked about it. But I just wanted to let you know that you mean so much to me. I just hope you know that. The years that I spent without you were so difficult. It felt as if I had lost that part of me. But when you took me back in your life, I started to feel content. As if you were the missing piece in my life. My letters are proof that there was no one else in my life but you."

I tried to stop him, but he didn't let me.

"No. Please. Let me get this off of my chest. I like you. Finally, I have said it. Always have. Always will. I wanna give us a chance. But the question is, what do you want. Do you still like me?"

I stood there stunned. Never in a million years did I think Dhruva would confess tonight. I was obviously not prepared for this. Why did he? Everything was going perfectly well. We were getting along fine. So why now? When everything was slowly getting normal. It is not even a year since he suddenly dropped the bomb. How did he expect me to just give us a chance when we are far from 'us'.

The thing is, he knew it. Still, he was asking me this. When I asked him earlier on the call, he clarified that he wanted to hang out as friends. Now, in the end, he is asking me for a chance. Why the sudden change of mind?

I was so confused.

"Dhruva? You told me we were meeting as friends. Everything was going well. So, why this now? I am not trying to be insensitive here, but you know I only see you as a friend. And I don't know if I can ever see you more. Look, I am sorry, but I am not ready to give us a chance. I hope you understand. I am just starting to trust you again, and I don't want to complicate things. Dhruva, even if I say yes, I won't be able to give my 100%. Which is not fair to you or me. I am sorry."

"Arya, you don't have to apologize. I knew you were not ready. I just wanted to tell you what you mean to me. It is ok if you do not feel the same way now. I will wait for you. Don't be sad. I am fine."

I called the girls as soon as I reached home. I needed to talk to someone. They arrived soon. I was pretty sure I looked distraught. I could tell as they rushed to hug me. The both of them started firing questions at me.

"What happened?"

"Tell us, Arya, what happened."

"Is everything alright?"

"Kisi ko kuch hua he?"

With that, the dam broke, and I started explaining what had happened. They both patiently waited till I was done, absorbing everything I said.

"OH! Arya! Come here." Aaru said and pulled me in a tight hug.

"Dhruva finally told you he liked you?" Zia asked in disbelief.

"Zia!" Exclaimed Aaru.

"What? I did not think he had it in him. I am just shocked. Sorry."

"I don't wanna say this but, she is right, Arya. I did not think he would confess after so many years. I know you aren't ready for this. We already felt that he still had feelings for you. He behaved differently around you even though he tried to tone it down for your sake."

"Yeah, right. There was this yearning in Dhruva's eyes every time he saw you." Zia piped.

"He will understand. Don't worry. But Arya, what are you so afraid of? Do you think he will leave you again? Is that it? Is that what scares you to commit?"

My eyes widened in realisation.

I was scared that Dhruva would leave me again.

 ______________________________________

Author's Note:
Hello guys!
Poor Arya. Atleast she realised that she was scared of commitment. Hopefully things will get better soon.
Stay tuned for more.
Vote. Share. Comment.
Thanks for reading!
- Mitali