Chapter 5 - Unexpected Encounter

Melina's pov:

-"Maria, please tell John to prepare my horse. I am going for a ride!"

-"Another date with Mr. George Miss?" Maria asked mischievously.

-"Hurry Maria I want to return home before the sun goes down" I scolded her. I feel bad talking to her like this but at the moment I am not in position to explain anything to anyone.

-"Yes ....yes.....Miss right away" Maria replied timidly.

-"Thank you Maria!"

A week has passed and although I have informed George that my father knows about us, he has not come yet to my house to ask me for marriage. I understand that he has a busy schedule but I cannot understand why he is avoiding me. I've sent him several messages but he replied to none. What happened? Did Venieris tell him what happened that night? Βut how could he? I never told him that George is the man I was expecting that night and there is no way for him to find it out by himself. Nobody knows about our relationship. Only me, George and my father. Then why George vanished into thin air like that? Does he have second thoughts about us? No, no.... I am being paranoiac now. George loves me. He would never do that to me. I'll go to our hiding place and wait for him, even if I have to stay all day waiting for him. My message was clear and I know he got it as Maria reassured me about it.

I arrived at the clearing after half an hour of riding. The sun was shining and birds were singing. Everything was beautiful. It was the first days of autumn. Although yellow leaves were already scattered on the ground nature still was dressed in green and it was wonderful! I took my horse to the river to drink some water and then lied down under an oak tree gazing at the sun playing hide and seek with the leaves of the tree. Many hours passed and I was ready to leave when I heard a horse galloping from afar. I headed to the clearing to see who was coming. Although the rider was several meters away, I managed to distinguish the horse. It was black! Only George's horse is jet black in the village. It was him! My heart started beating like crazy, my emotions many and conflicting. I was relieved that he came but also scared of what he might say to me. What if he wants to break up with me? I'm paranoid again! He's just been extremely busy lately, I told myself, pushing the bad thoughts out of my head. I decided to go back to my tree, sat down and waited for my love to come find me.

A few minutes passed when I heard the horse galloping closer. It stopped and the rider dismounted. I didn't turn to look at him. I was just waiting for him to come closer. I have decided to make him pay for his behavior and I will not back down. He doesn't know how much he hurt me. All these days I was on pins and needles because of his disappearance. He didn't have to keep his distance from me.

The closer the footsteps came to me, the faster my heart beat. When I felt him near me, I closed my eyes and waited for his next move. I felt his body next to me and soon his breath was on my face. My heart was beating so hard I thought it was going to jump out of my body. Unable to resist any longer, I opened my eyes and met two incredible gray eyes! I stood up abruptly. The man in front of me was not George! It was... it was...

-"Hello Contessa! We meet again!" Stavros said giving me a wide smile.

-"You!...How...how did you find me?" Ι mumbled.

He looked at me playfully. Something about his manner flattered and excited me but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. His looks, his confidence... his whole being were so charming to me! The only thing I was sure of was that its existence didn't leave me indifferent. But I was in love with George. Right? Then why I felt that way for this stranger? What was wrong with me? I couldn't let him affect me that much! It was inappropriate! Immoral! Down with me!

-"I've told you before! I always find what I seek..." he replied confidently.

-"Why are you here? What do you want from me?" I asked more annoyed with myself than him.

-"I want to get to know you better" he answered sincerely.

-"Know me better? For what? Why?" I wondered.

-"Because I like you. What else?"

-"You ....you like me!?" I asked in surprise.

-"Yes, why does it surprise you so much? Don't you consider yourself worthy of being loved?" he wondered. I sat there and stared at him like a fool for a few seconds. Why am I so attracted to him?

-"Yes........ yes! Of course ......!" I said puzzled and continued..." But you know I...."

-"Yes?"

-"I......I am engaged to someone..." I said firmly.

-"Oh! You are engaged! Congratulations! Who is the lucky one?"

-"I cannot reveal it yet" I answered stupidly.

-"First time I hear engagement with a ghost"

-"It's not a ghost. It's just that we haven't officially announced it yet!"

- "So it is a matter of days..." he said sarcastically.

-"I'm sorry, but I can't talk to you anymore. I'm waiting for him as we speak. He'll show up any minute. So please, you'd better go."

-"Oh! I see... Although I'm tempted to stay and find out who this ghost is, I'll do you a favor and leave. But before I go, I have to tell you something."

-"What is it?"

-"If I were him I wouldn't let you wait here alone even for a minute. Goodbye, my Countess," he said, kissed my hand and headed for his horse.

His last words were like a knife to my heart. Although he is a complete stranger to me he told the truth. George manages to disappoint me lately. What's wrong with him? Why is he behaving like this? Why is he so indifferent to me?

I waited another hour for him but George never appeared. I decided to return home. Once again, George disappointed me and I don't know why.

I got home when the sun was setting. I quickly went up the stairs. I didn't want to see anyone. I was so frustrated with George that a simple word from anyone could make me explode, especially if that person was Tina. I won't be able to hold myself if she says something offensive to me.

I locked myself in my bedroom and started crying. I totally burst out. Every emotion I had suppressed for so long came to the surface. I cried and cried until I couldn't anymore! Hours later I went down to the kitchen to drink some water. I was really very thirsty and dehydrated.

I was passing out of the living room, when a small light caught my eye and I heard some voices talking softly. It was late at night. We could not have visitors at this time. I quietly approached the half-open door. I saw my father and mother-in-law sitting on one of the sofas and talking. I turned quickly. I wouldn't want to watch their courtship. I was about to leave when I heard Tina call my name. I froze in place! Did they see me? I quickly turned back and tried to see what was going on. Fortunately for me they did not realize my presence. I was about to leave again when I heard George's name too. That intrigued me and made me want to stay and hear more.

-"You have to tell her" Tina insisted addressing to my father.

-"How can you ask me such a thing? How can I tell her that her fiancé doesn't want her anymore because I told him she doesn't have a dowry. She's going to blame me for that" my father countered.

I put my hand over my mouth trying not to scream. "So that was why George avoided me. Because I had no dowry. My God! How did he do this to me? Ηe is supposed to have loved me"

-"It's not your fault my love that she found a complete loser who cared more about her money than her!"

-"My dove how can I say such a thing to her? It's tough! She will be devastated. I cannot...."

-"If you can't tell her I will. She must know everything and she has to understand that we are running out of time. She must get married as soon as possible. We are totally bankrupt. She must sacrifice herself for her family. After all, she owes us! We've been taking care of her all these years!"

-"But to marry her to this old man? I can't do this to her"

-"Is there any alternative?" she asked coldly.

-"Probably not," said my father, bowing his head in distress.

I couldn't wait to hear more. I couldn't bear to hear more. My fiancé disowned me while my father plans to sell me to an old man for money! I did not expect this change in my life. What should I do?