Chapter 30 - Futile Attempt

Melina's pov:

I woke up with a feeling of happiness and completeness in the arms of Stavros. The warmth of his body and his intoxicating smell made it very difficult for me to get out of bed. I curled up in his arms looking at him for several minutes, mesmerized by his beauty as he slept soundly. I felt so safe in his arms. With a heavy heart I got up and headed to my room where I did my daily routine, got dressed and went downstairs. I quickly ate breakfast and went to work. I didn't expect Stavros to come down as I had a lot to do that day.

I reached the office early in the morning. Later that day I had a very important meeting with some executives. I was going through some files when I heard a commotion outside. A man burst into my office with my secretary Penny shouting behind him.
-"Mr. Andreadakis, where are you going? You don't have an appointment with Mrs Venieris. Please let me announce you first" came Penny's voice again as she tried to stop him.
-"It's ok Penny. I will take care of it" I assured her.
-"Ok. Mrs Venieris. Shall I bring you anything?" Penny asked.
-"No, Mr. Andreadakis won't stay long" I replied firmly giving a disapproving look to George which didn't affect him at all. I wonder what he wants now.
-"Aren't you going to ask me to sit down?' George asked incredulously.
-"What do you want George? " I asked impatiently.
-"I want you. I've missed you Melina" he said and approached me in a seductive way.
-"Please stay away" I told him and walked away from him.
-"Why don't you want me next to you, Melina?"
-"Because I am a married woman and I love my husband...
-"Nonsense. These are all lies. Who do you think you're kidding? Everyone knows your marriage was arranged" he said in disbelief.
-"I don't care what you think, I'm telling you the truth. Now if you don't have anything to say, go away..."
-"Melina.....why are you being so hard on me? Can't you see how much I'm suffering from your behavior?"
-"Are you suffering? Don't make me laugh! It's too late George. Don't you see?"
-"It's never too late when two people truly love each other" he said, he took my hand, put it in his heart. I took my hand back and told him sternly.
-"I don't love you anymore George. Stop meddling in my life"
-"You're lying! You love me and you know it! Υou can't get over me so easily!" he said as he approached me and grabbed me by the arms. He leaned his head towards mine and he was ready to kiss me. I tried to walk away to no avail. I was trying to get out of his grip when George put his lips on mine and kissed me violently. It was then, when I heard the door opened.
-"What's going on here?" Stavros intervened angrily.
-"Nothing" I replied as I walked away from George.
-"Why don't you tell him the truth Melina? What are you afraid of?" George asked me shamelessly.
-"What?" I asked incredulously.
-"What truth do you have to tell me, Melina?" Stavros asked sternly.
-"Don't listen to him Stavros. I don't know what he's talking about" I replied.
-"I'll tell you" George intervened and continued" Melina and I are in love. We intend to get married when she divorces you!" he said incredulously.
-"What? These are all lies!" I strongly objected.
-"Why do you deny it?" George asked again.
-"Shut it!"
-"Why don't you tell Stavros that we keep seeing each other almost every day?" George said shamelessly.
-"This is an outright lie and you know it!" I objected.
-"Melina, don't be afraid to tell the truth" George said patronizingly.
-"What? I'm not afraid of anything. What you're saying is pure lies" I yelled at him angrily.
-"Don't you deny it anymore. You love me as I do" George shamelessly contradicted.
-"Shut it!" I shouted madly.
Stavros, who had remained calm and silent all this time, approached me and hugged me from behind. Then, addressing George, he said:
-"Go Andreadakis! If I find you bothering my wife again I won't be so tolerant"
-"You are threatening me?" George asked angrily.
-"Take it as you like" Stavros told him coldly.
- "Melina and I will be together no matter what you do" George said confidently.
-"Okay...We heard what you had to say, now go..." replied Stavros.
George gave me one last look and left the office. I turned back to face Stavros. I wanted to explain everything to him. I wanted to banish all the dark clouds from our relationship.
-"Why did you leave so early this morning?" Stavros managed to ask me first before I could say a word.
-"I had work to do. Stavros, I want to explain to you how things happened."
-"Shhhh....." Stavros said putting his finger on my lips. "You don't have to say anything. I know my love and I believe you" he reassured me by stroking my cheek while I tilted my head towards him welcoming his caress.
-"But...I need to tell you the truth. I need to open my heart to you!"
-"You don't have to, Melina... I believe you!" he said calmly giving me a toothy smile.
-"You have to believe me, George is....lying...."
-"I know my love. I didn't believe any of his words. I know what his intention is...." he reassured me.
-"Stavros, I want you to understand that I have no feelings for George and I have never looked for him since we got married. Every meeting with him was completely by chance," I insisted.
-"You don't need to give me any explanation. I know my love" he said reassuringly.
-"You know? But how?" I wondered.
-"What I wanted to say is that I believe you. You don't need to tell me anything" he reassured.
-"How can you be so sure of that?"
-"I know you Melina and I know what kind of person you are. There is no need for Andreadakis to tell me anything about you."
-"Thank you my love!" I said and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He kissed me again on the lips passionately. We stood there hugging and kissing for a few seconds until Penny knocked on my door saying it was time for my meeting with the Company's board.
Stavros gave me one last kiss and left the office. I followed him back into the conference room. I braced myself, took a deep breath and entered. I won't let what happened before affect me. I have many important issues to resolve.

George's pov:

I waited in the living room for Tina to come down. I just couldn't believe what happened before. This idiot even though he saw his wife kissing someone else, he stood by her. He is mad; Does he trust her that much? Is there not a trace of doubt in him?
-"What a pleasant surprise George!" Tina exclaimed.
-"Finally you came down!" I told her annoyed after waiting for her for several minutes.
-"What happened? Did you make it?"
-"Unfortunately not. She loves him too much to betray him and he trusts her more than a husband should be."
-"What? That can't be happening! How did they manage to build such a strong relationship in such a short time?" she wondered.
-"I really don't know. My attempt failed miserably" Ι told her disappointed.
-"You are completely idiot! Can't you do anything right?" Tina scolded me.
-"What could I do? He saw me kissing her and supported her! This plan is useless! Can't you see?"
-"No, I won't give up so easily. Melina has to pay for her insolence. We have to find another way...." Tina said venomously.
-"What way?" I wondered.
-"I'll think of something. They will definitely have a weak point."
-"I don't know. Maybe we should give up. It's seems to me a lost cause!"
-"Ιf you want it so much, do it. I know I won't. Melina has to pay" she said determined.
-"Ok. I'll help you. You can count on me!" I said defeatedly.