Chapter 28 - The Plot

Tina's pov:

I was in my room trying to persuade Aggelos to ask Melina for more money, but he was adamant. He believed that we had no right to demand more when we got so much in return when she married Venieris.

-"Stop insisting, Tina. I won't ask my daughter to give us more money" he said firmly.

-"Why not?"

-"Don't you think we've hurt her enough so far?" he scolded.

-"How dare you tell me this? Have you lost completely your mind? We dedicated our whole lives to raise her, educate her and make her a proper, sophisticated woman. We married her with the richest man in Greece! She owes us a lot, don't you think?"

-"Tina we married her with a total stranger. We literally sold her for money. She owes us absolutely nothing!" Aggelos scolded me.

-"What are you talking about? If it weren't for us she would be on the streets now"

-"Tina shut it! I can't stay here listening to your nonsense anymore! I am going at work" he told me angrily. Then he abruptly stood up and got out from our bedroom.

This man is completely stupid! Does not he see that we will end up on the streets if we do not get the money? I have to do everything by myself in the end ... Tonight I will visit my stepdaughter and claim what she owes me.

I took off my clothes and was ready to take a relaxing bath with different essentials, that maids have prepared me, when a knock on the door was heard. Mary, our maid, got inside and informed me that we had a guest in the living room. I quickly put on a beautiful crimson dress and went downstairs. I entered the living room surprised to see George Andreadakis waiting for me.

-"George what a pleasant surprise!" I exclaimed in joy. I wonder what he's doing here....

-"Countess....nice to see you again" he said and kissed my hand properly.

-"Thank you. Please don't stand there, sit down. Would you like to offer you anything?"

-"A coffee would be nice, thank you" he said after he sat on the couch. I sat on one of the armchairs opposite and rang the bell. After a few minutes Mary got inside and made a bow.

-"You rang my lady....."

-"Mary please bring us some coffee" I ordered while she bowed her head and left.

-"May I know the purpose of your visit George?" I wondered.

-"Always to the point my Countess!"

-"So? What would you like to discuss with me?"

-"The issue is delicate......my Countess"

-"Regarding what.....?"

-"It's about your step daughter, Melina"

-"What about her?"

-"You know with Melina we had an affair..."

-"I know all this George. But all this as you know belongs to the past. Melina is a married woman now."

-"I know my Countess but I desperately need your help."

-"Do you understand what are you asking me?"

-"Please I want her back. I cannot live without her" he told me shamelessly.

-"You want what? How dare you? This is an honored house!" I exclaimed offended.

-"Please don't get me wrong. It isn't my intention to offend you. The reason I came here today is because I am completely desperate. I want Melina back in my life. I love her, I can't live without her!"

-"Do you hear yourself? Melina is a married woman, how can you say such things? I am sorry I can no longer hear those indecencies!" I scolded him and abruptly stood up.

-"Please my Countess sit. You have to understand me! I can't live without her. You must help me!"

-"I am sorry I can't" I told him firmly.

-"My Countess I beg of you. A chance is all I ask! A few minutes will be more than enough for me" he said desperately.

-"Why should I help you?"

-"Trust me your help will never be forgotten."

-"What do you mean by that?" I asked him trying to sound indifferent.

-"I am not ungrateful. I can be very generous you know..." he said looking me straight in the eyes. His eyes were on fire.

-"You are offending me again.... Ι am not gonna take it anymore....." I scolded him.

-"No, I just point out how generous I can be" he told me confidently.

-"How generous?" I asked incredulously. It was time to stop pretending and try to gain something from all these. Of course, I didn't believe any of his reasons. I am old enough not to buy his story, but if Andreadakis is willing to pay for my help, I am not stupid not to take advantage of it. Εspecially when Melina does not intend to give us a cent....

-"Very much, trust me" he responded confidently.

-"I see....and what do you want from me in return?"

-"To help me separate her from Venieris.....That's all" he said calmly.

-"What you are asking isn't easy.... Can you imagine what the consequences will be for me if her husband finds out?"

-"I know the risk you'll have to take and I am gonna compensate you very well" he said determinedly.

-"I do not know ... I need time to think about it ..." I told him hesitantly. It's not that I have seconds thoughts on this or that I'm scared of the risk of being caught red handed. I just want to increase the amount he intends to give me.

-"Υοu have two days to answer me" he said firmly.

-"I never liked deadlines" I contradicted.

-"I can't wait any longer. The offer is on the table. Take it or leave it" he said seriously.

-"You did not mention what the offer is about" I justified myself trying to prevent him from taking back his proposal.

-"Whatever you want if you can achieve my request."

-"I want four hundred drachmas and 30% of your company's shares."

-"That's absurd! Four hundred drachmas and 30% of my company's shares for a divorce are very expensive don't you think?" he contradicted.

-"That's my price. Take it or leave it" I said determinedly. I used his own words against him and I loved it. He was so desperate. I am sure that Melina didn't pay him any attention. That's why he turned to me for help. He came at the most suitable time! I need that money and I don't care about Melina. I'll do him the favor as long as I am sure I'll get what I want.

-"Ok then, we have a deal as long as you act quickly."

-"Of course, as long as you put four hundred drachmas and the 30% of your shares to my account until tomorrow morning."

-"You can't be serious. I can't do this in a single afternoon! Only the transfer of shareholders requires approval by the company's General Assembly."

-"Ok. You have till the end of the week. If you do the transfer I will arrange you a meeting with Melina on Sunday. It's up to you to choose wisely."

-"Ok then. Arrange the meeting and I will transfer the money to your account on Friday. Do we have a deal?"

-"I like people who know what they want and do not hesitate to get it at any cost."

-"I cannot agree more with that. I will wait to hear you my Countess" he said and after making a bow he left the living room.

I cannot believe my good luck! I did not expect that! I was so desperate that I would not find money and end up on the streets. My only problem is how to convince Melina to come to the meeting. I have to choose a place too, a place that has nothing to do with me, as I do not want to be exposed if things go wrong. And surely Aggelos must not know anything about it. He will rat me on Melina as soon as he finds out! I must act cleverly and carefully. Tonight I'll pay a visit to my dearest step daughter!