Chapter 14 - Jealousy

Several minutes of total numbness passed with me looking at my crying reflexion in the mirror. It was then that I decided to come out of it. I cleared the thoughts from my mind, wiped the tears from my eyes and after I gave a quick look at my reflection in the mirror, took a deep breath and exited the bathroom. 

Even though my whole life has been turned upside down and everything I thought was standard in my life has come crashing down like paper towers, I refuse to let people know how I feel right now. I won't give them the satisfaction of seeing me broken and devastated. I put on my most seductive smile, looked up and headed for my table.

Unfortunately the surprises didn't stop coming that night. When I approached our table, Stavros was nowhere to be found. I desperately scanned the nearby tables to find him there but nothing came up. 

Out of the corner of my eye I found Stavros dancing with a very seductive and beautiful woman. She was tall, blonde and  well built: her beauty undeniable. They danced in the middle of the stage next to each other acting very comfortably, holding each other tight and laughing!

When I saw how much fun they were having together, something broke inside me. I felt envy and sadness. I did not like the sight at all! But why did I feel that way? I did not love this man. I actually didn't feel anything for him! So why did I care who she danced with?

What was this feeling growing inside me? I wanted to go there and broke them apart. But instead of making a scene I decided to sit quietly in my seat and stoically wait for him to come back and ask him about this woman. And then it hit me! Did I have the right to ask him? 

Although we are married, we are not actually a real couple. He will reasonably ask me what right I have to ask him such questions when I am not trying to be a real wife. He is free to find love somewhere else, when he only gets cold shoulder from me. Isn't he?

The Duke's wife, Romina, was chattering about her latest trip to Switzerland while showing off the watch her husband had bought her, when Stavros returned to his seat with a grin of satisfaction on his face which made me furious.

-"Stavros you are smiling. I haven't seen you smiling for years!" Romina commented.

Stavros looked at her in surprise. He was obviously taken aback from her comment but answered spontaneously.

-"It's because I like dancing!"

-"Oh! Ι thought it was because you finally decided to settle down" Romina commented critically.

-"Oh yes! That too!" he said awkwardly and put his hand behind his head.

I was literally fuming. I wanted to get up and slap him in the face.

"That too?" Really? That's his answer? I wasn't the one who arranged this marriage! I wasn't the one who arranged this marriage! I wasn't the one who wanted to be a couple under God's eye! I actually didn't push him for anything! How dare he say such a thing in front of everyone? If he had so much fun with other women why did he marry me? "

I was seething with anger when I heard Romina call my name. I turned my head towards her while she was staring at me probably waiting for an answer. Besides her, Stavros was also looking at me. Suddenly I looked around and realized that all the people sitting above the table were focused on me!

I cleared my throat and asked her as calmly as possible.

-"I'm sorry Romina, I'm afraid I didn't pay attention. What did you ask me?"

-"It's okay my dear. I asked you how you feel about married life and if a child is in your plans soon. But I'm really sorry I shouldn't have asked such a private question."