Chapter 35 - Nowhere to be found

Stavros' pov:

I returned home late again. Although I wanted to spend the evening with Melina I had so many meetings and appointments that made it difficult for me to do it. It was half past eleven when I arrived at the house. Aggeliki, always faithful  was waiting for me. 
-"Good evening Sir."
-"Aggeliki why are you up so late?" I asked her.
-"I was waiting for you Sir. Would you like anything to eat?"
-"No, no Aggeliki. I ate something in the office. You shouldn't wait for me. It's very late. You'd better go and get some rest!" I suggested.
-"As you wish Sir. Good night!"
-"Good night Angeliki" I said to her as I went up the stairs. Before going to my room I decided to go to Melina's room first to check on her. I quietly opened the door and with soft steps approached her bed where I was surprised to find her bed intact. I checked it her bathroom and I didn't find her either."Where is she? Maybe she's sleeping in my bedroom" I thought to myself and happily headed to my room  eager to hug her.

I was excited by the idea of ​​Melina sleeping in my bed. Unfortunately, when I turned on the lights the room was empty. I checked the bathroom but Melina was nowhere to be found. I went back to her bedroom and searched her closet. All her clothes and personal belongings were there. Where was she? Where did she go in the middle of the night?

I hurried down the stairs worried about Melina's whereabouts. I rang the bell and after a few minutes a sleepy and willing Angeliki came rushing into the hall.
-"My lord how can I help you?"
-"Yes Aggeliki. I would like to know where my wife is...." I said anxiously.
-"Probably in her bedroom sleeping. She went upstairs after she had dinner" Aggeliki replied.
-"She isn't there" I confirmed her strictly.
-"Maybe she is in your room" she said with a sly way.
-"She isn't either..Where is she?" I asked angrily.
-"I....I really don't know my son" she said worried.
-"Call the guards immediately" I shouted.
After a few minutes the guards were waiting for me at my office.
-"You called sir..." Sotiris, one of the guards asked me.
-"Do you know if Mrs. Melina left the house?"
-"Yes sir. She left two hours ago" Sotiris replied.
-"You didn't ask her where she went?" I asked him in a strict tone.
-"No sir. How are we supposed to ask our Lady a question like this?" Yiannis commented making me give him a disapproving look. 
-"You should have asked Melina where she was going....No one enters or leaves the mansion without being noticed by you especially at such hours" I told them sternly and continued "Did she take the horse?"
-"No, sir she left on foot."
-"On foot? Where the hell did she go so late?" I asked myself. I saw the guards' faces and realized that the last one I said it out loud too. "What are you waiting for? Search everywhere for her. Don't return until you find her" I ordered. It was then that one of my maids Lora intervened.

-"I am sorry Sir. I found these in Mrs.'s room" she said timidly showing me some pictures and a letter that she held. I grabbed them quickly and started reading the letter. Then I looked at the photos one by one. They depicted me and Christine entering the hotel. I was furious! 

Who dared to do this? Who was watching us? Oh my God! Melina will probably think I'm cheating on her! I have to find her and explain everything! I stormed out of the house in a rage, got into my car and started the engine. I quickly sped up heading towards Melina's family home.

It was past midnight when I arrived. I got out of the car and knocked on the door. A sleepy butler opened the door after I knocked on the door and called Melina's name several times.

-"Where is your lady?' I asked impatiently.
-"She's probably sleeping upstairs sir" he commented sarcastically.
-"Tell her to come down immediately" I ordered.
-"Please stay where you are sir. She will be down in a few seconds" the butler reassured me.
 Several minutes passed and a very sleepy Tina came downstairs wearing a robe.

-"What's going on, Stavros? What are you doing here at this hour?"
-"Where is Melina?" I asked angrily.
-"What are you talking about? She is at your house" she commented.
-"Don't play games with me. Tell her to come down immediately" I ordered.
-"Stavros Melina isn't here..." Tina said in a condescending way.
-"Stop lying to me!" I shouted at her impatiently.
-"I am not lying" she told me in a soothing way trying to appease me to no avail.
-"Τhen where is she?" I asked angrily.
-"I really do not know! Maybe she left you" she said venomously making me give her a stern look.
-"If she shows up inform me immediately and try to keep her here until I arrive. Ok?"
-"Yes, yes of course I'll do that! In fact I am gonna wake up her father and set a searching team for her. I am really worried about her whereabouts" she added.
-"Οk" Ι said, got up abruptly and left the room.

 Tina's pov:

Stavros acted like a wild animal in a cage. He was in a frenzy! I've never seen him act like this before. He was always so composed and controlled. I never thought that Melina's escape would affect him in such a way.
But where this pariah is? If she didn't come here where did she go? She must have already seen the photos. That's why she left her house. But where did she go? Did she go to George? Oh how I wish she could go to him! Then George would give me anything I wanted.
I went upstairs and continued my sleep. I did not intend to inform Aggelos about the matter until morning. I am not going to spoil my night.

Stavros' pov:

- I've been looking for her all night! I can't understand. Where did she go?" I asked Aggeliki frustrated.
-"Please my lord, calm down. She can't vanished into thin air. She's somewhere. Have faith, soon we will find her"
-"But where is she? Where did she spend the night?"
-"Maybe she is at one of her friends' house!"
"-What friend? Where?" I asked impatiently.
-"I.....I really don't know...." she said timidly.
-"Did Manolis returned from the Count's Komninos house?"
-"Not yet......" she replied scared.
-"Where is he? What takes him so long?"
-"I.....I......" Aggeliki tried to say when a male voice interrupted her. It was Manolis who returned from the Komninos Mansion.
-"I am sorry to interrupt you Sir........... but unfortunately I have nothing new. Our Lady didn't go to their house and they don't know anything about her."
-"Shit....Then where did she go? Call Grigoris immediately."
A few minutes passed before Grigoris entered. Grigoris is one of our best scouts in the area. He can find any trace that belongs to man or animal.  It is encouraging that it has not rained for days.
-"Sir, I found some female footprints leading to the town. But when I got there I lost them. It is obvious that our Lady went into town."
-"Ok. Form five groups of five men to scan the entire area. Do not stop until you find her"
-"Yes sir" he bowed and left the office. I addressed to Aggeliki who stood beside me all this time.
-"What is she doing there? Who is in the town?"
-"I really do not know my lord. I can not explain any of them. Mrs. Melina is not a person who acts irrationally or spontaneously. Something must have caused this behavior. Something very bad "
-"I know...." I said ashamed. I knew very well what caused Melina's flee. I was the cause of her behavior. Μe and my carelessness are responsible for the fact that she abandoned me.