Chapter 17 - The Fireplace

Stavros' pov:

She looked at me with relief. It was more than obvious that she was very afraid because she got lost. She approached me and gave me a big hug. I was caught off guard. I really didn't expect her reaction! It's the first time since I've met her that she's been so effusive! Especially with me! I was really surprised!

-"Quickly we have to find a shelter to go to! The storm is coming and if we stay here we'll be soaked to the bone!" I told her and took a step away. She looked at me surprised. She seemed a bit disappointed by my move. She didn't expect it! Actually I didn't expect it either! I don't know why I did it. It's not that I didn't want her. On the contrary, I really enjoyed her hug and she made me feel wanted and happy but something inside me resisted it.

-"You know we can't avoid soaking. The house is too far to be able to return home before the storm starts...." Melina contradicted.

-"We won't return to the house. I can't risk it with this weather. Ιt is dangerous to be on a clearing when lightning strike."

-"Okkey.....but where can we go? I scanned the area and there is nothing around. We have no alternative!" Melina said.

-"Don't worry. Just get on your horse and follow me!" I told her confidently.

Ι took the path to the old cabin. The one I spent most of my youth, the one that hosted me when I had absolutely nothing and lived through great difficulties. The only house my family and I have had for years. My father was a lumberjack and a casual laborer. When he died, we were left alone. If it were not for Alexander we would be dead now. He took us to his house and gave me and my mother a job so we could feed ourselves.

The time has passed and now I am a rich and strong man. Over the years, I renovated the cabin and made it with all the amenities it could provide. Now it has become my sanctuary. I come here when I want to isolate myself and I want to relax and calm down.

It took us half an hour to reach the cabin. Unfortunately, the drizzle managed to get us a little wet. It was exactly as I left it! Although I haven't been there very long, I made sure to send someone from time to time to keep it clean and supply it with food.

-"We are finally here!" I said triumphantly.

-"Thank God!" she said in relief.

I got off the horse and tied it to a tree nearby to keep it from raining. Melina did the same. I opened the door with the key I used to hide in the hollow of a tree.

-"How did you know?" she asked me in surprise.

-"This is where I stay when I go hunting on rainy days like this!"

-"Oh I see!" she said in surprise.

She went inside and looked around. She never expected to find such a neat cabin in the middle of nowhere! She stopped to take all in; the fireplace, the furniture (a double bed, a table and two chairs, a cupboard and a wardrobe), the warm rugs made of wild animals that were spread on the ground. The cabin was clean and tidy but cold.

I took some small twigs that were piled aside near the front door to light the fireplace. Then I threw a rug in front of the fireplace and invited Melina to sit and warm herself. The cabin was lit up and everything seemed warmer and more welcoming. I went out and brought some wood from a pile and a big log to keep us warm all night.

Melina sat and put her hands over the fire. She was shivering. Her clothes were wet from the drizzle.

-"You have to change clothes and warm up soon if you do not want to get sick".

-"I can't change clothes! I don't have any with me!" she commented.

-"Don't worry about that" I told her and headed towards the closet. I opened it and took a shirt, a pair of pants and a warm sweater I use to wear on hunting. Then approached Melina and offered them to her.