Chapter 5

(Edited)
Abigail's POV

"Leave her alone!" I screamed in his face, earning a slap.

"You do NOT raise your voice at me young lady!" He screamed back.

"Please, daddy!" I pleaded with tears streaming down my face as well as Audrey's.

"Abigail. I will tell you this once. Get. Out. Of. The. Way." he said slow and clear.

"Pl-" I was cut off by him pushing me to the floor and landing several feet away. I tried to get up but he stepped on my ankle and applied all of his weight, easily breaking my ankle.

I bit my tongue, tasting blood in my mouth as soon as I did.

Laying helplessly on the floor, I watched as my father stalked towards my little sister.

Her face was stained with tears and her eyes got even wider, if possible.

She curled in ball in the corner of the living room as father approached her.

"Why are you here?" His voice echoed off the walls.

"I-I. Abigail h-has custody over me," she stuttered and shook with fear.

For a 9-year old, I'm surprised she even knows what that is. Its sad she had to grow up in a family like this.

"Her? I'm the adult! I should be the one who has custody over y-you," he stuttered before passing out, most likely from all the drinks he had.

"Are you okay, Audrey?" I asked, trying to stand up but failing miserably.

"Me? What about you? Your the one that got hurt," she replied sarcastically.

"Same as always, Audrey. You don't have to hide from me. I can see it in your eyes."

She put her head dowm and stared at the floor.

"So... now what? Are we just going to leave him there?" She asked signaling towards dad.

"Yeah, he will wake up in a few hours. Dp you want to take a walk or something?"

"Sure, I guess," she replied, pulling on her jacket and shoes.

Once outside, I took a deep breath, enjoying the fresh and cool air. I felt relieved for a bit. Nothing could touch me. I was safe from my father right now. Even with the pain of my ankle... it felt nice to walk, or limp, outside.

I knew I'll be in trouble when he wakes up and I have no clue what I'm going to do about Audrey showing up.

I don't want her life becoming as screwed up as mine when she grows up.

She will have a good life. School. A job. She will have a life and I'll make sure of it.

My eyes opened and wandered to the cement sidewalk.

"So, what have you been up to Audrey?" I asked, still staring at the ground.

When I got no answer, goosebumps appeared on my arms.

Looking up, I had fear collapsing on me.

Audrey was gone.

"Audrey?! Audrey?!" I screamed out but received no answer.

Tears streamed down my face.

I just got her back.

Looking around at every little thing until I noticed a black, van pull out of an alley and drive off.

The windows were darkly tainted and nothing could be seen from the outside.

As it was driving off, I heard a high pitched scream.

Before I could do anything, my body froze in place.

I couldn't move a muscle.

That's when my vision became clouded and I felt myself falling.

I couldn't do anything, though.

It was as if my brain had shut down.

Feeling no pain as I hit the ground I noticed one little detail I hadn't earlier, before I was pulled into the darkness.

A little empty needle stuck in my arm.