Chapter 9

(Edited)
Austin's POV

"You can't expect me to just leave you here!" I exclaimed while gripping onto the steering wheel so hard my knuckles turned white.

"You have to! If you don't, he'll find me and punish me! Please, Austin, just let me go," Abby cried and pleaded to me with her eyes.

Right now we were driving away from the house where I had turned into an animal for the first time. Abby and I were fighting about her going back to her abusive home. Audrey was sleeping in the back seat.

"I can't let you two go back there. I can't explain it. I have this obligation to protect you, and leaving you at this house would make me a terrible person." I argued.

Tears fell down her face. She was scared. My heart ached seeing her like this. I wanted so badly to help her, but I wasn't sure how.

"You have to let me go home. He will find me and the punishment will be worse. He doesn't remember Audrey coming home, so you can take her. Please, Austin. I'm begging you," she turned towards me in her seat.

In order to get to my house, we had to pass her's. And I had just got onto her road. I stopped the car and pulled off to the side.

"Please don't make me do this, Abby. I don't want you to get hurt." I begged.

She closed her eyes.

"I have to go there," she said with her eyes still closed.

I took her hand and she opened her beautiful brown eyes that I could just get lost in.

Something stirred within me. I knew we had a connection before, but now we were bonded. And this bond was getting stronger.

"I can't," I responded.

I hated seeing her like this and I was running out of arguments.

"I will be fine. I've lasted this long with him. I need to go back and get my stuff. On Monday, if you are ok with it, you can't take me away from here."

I sighed and stared into her beautiful eyes. I had lost and I knew it.

"Fine. But be careful. I'll take Audrey to my house and keep her safe."

She gave me a small smile. I felt my breath hitch. She was beautiful. And close. The bond between us sent sparks through me. She noticed how close we were as well. All the tension left the air as we grew closer. Inches turned to centimeters.

"What are you doing?!" A child's voice screeched in the back seat.

Abby and I quickly moved away from each other. Her cheeks burned red. I laughed at her.

"Hey Audrey, I've got a sister who's exited to meet you. I think she was saying something about having an awesome sleepover. What do you say?" I asked with a smile.

Abby still was blushing like crazy and avoiding eye contact.

"Can I Abby?" Audrey asked with excitement.

Abby finally found her voice, "of course you can! I hope you have fun."

We were now in front of the wretched house.

"I'll see you later, little sis," Abby gave her a small smile.

Finally, Abby turned back around to face me and met my eyes.

A crashing sound was heard from inside her home. She sighed and nodded towards me.

"I'll see you on Monday," I said with a sad smile.

"Goodbye Austin." She said before opening the door and walking up the stairs to the house. Bending down, she took a key from beneath the welcome mat and opened the door. She didn't turn around as she walked through the door and closed it behind her.

Audrey was quiet in the back.

"Are you ok, Audrey?" I asked as I started the car and slowly drove away.

"Yeah. Thank you for saving me. Is my sister going to be ok?" She asked with worry written on her face.

"I don't know. I hope so, I really hope so." I responded and the car ride to my house was quiet for the rest of the time.