Chapter 1

I tapped the eraser of my pencil on the test. I hated this new school. After the accident, my mom, sister, and I moved. It's been hard since then.

I should probably tell you why we moved. My dad was taking me for ice cream. We were riding in the car.I bet him that he couldn't eat three scoops of ice cream.

We were having so much fun.

Then the drunk driver came.

He swerved into our lane. My dad tried to swerve over but it was too late. I still have nightmares sometimes. About that car. It came straight toward us. The other driver was going way too fast. My dad was crushed when the driver hit us.

I lost my legs from the impact.
My family now lives in an apartment. We now have a new car. The old one was totaled. Plus, I needed space for my wheelchair...

...So anyway, I was staring at my watch. 50 minutes. 50 more minutes of math... Otherwise known as 50 minutes of pain.

Sometimes I wish something would change. Ever since I got that stupid wheelchair 10 weeks ago, people have been making fun of me.

Suddenly, an alarm rang loudly through the air. It blared so loudly, I jumped and fell from my chair. I struggled to reach for my wheelchair, but I missed and it slid farther off.

This is where I wish I had legs. The alarm (that meant someone had broken into the campus) still rang loudly. Someone had broken into the school. And no one would help me.

The teacher was too busy hurrying the others, so she couldn't help me get to the closet.

I just laid there, helpless. The next movement I made was really stupid.

I tried one more time to pull the wheelchair forward but I accidentally hit the wheelchair with my fist. And it fell. I tried to pull it back up, but the corner was stuck under someone's desk. So I just laid there. I figured if I stayed still, I figured that this whole thing could just be a drill. By now all the others were safe in the closet. I actually got pretty relaxed laying on the floor.

Then the door exploded. Then came the shots... and the pain in my right shoulder. I heard fading screams and everything went black.

* * *

Click! Click! Click! Strange clicks filled the air, then it all went silent, something stopped the pain.

I passed out again.

* * *

I awoke with a start, everything was fuzzy and I couldn't quite tell what I was seeing. I finally realized what I was looking at... At, I was looking at myself!