Chapter 26

"What is your name?" I asked.
"Jackie." She said. "What's your name?"
"I'm Katherine, that's Annie, that's Eian, that's my sister, Mika. That's Michael, that's Fran, and that's Strawberry." I introduced.
"Strawberry, that's a silly name." Jackie giggled.
"Hey!" Strawberry scolded.
"It's just a nickname." I explained.
"Do you know why did Mommy went to sleep?" Jackie asked, solemnly.
"The air, a bad people poisoned it. We can fix it, though. And we going to."
"How." She asked.
"We are gonna fight for the antidote. Do you know where some weapons are? Are you the only one, do you have someone to feed you?" I asked.
"The store had food, but no one else is here, I didn't take too much. I promise. The Walmart I took food from should have some weapons like kitchen knives. Are you gonna kill them?" She said, slightly stuttering and twisting her words, probably because of her youth.
"Yeah, why?" Eian said.
She snuffled and starting to cry. "I want mommy back!" I began to stroke her tangled hair. She nestled into my shoulder, slowing her sobbing.
"Shh... Don't worry, she'll be fine." I began to stand up and Jackie finally stopped hugging me and let go. She then grabbed the sweater I had offer her earlier and slipped it over her head, it was far too big, but she politely thanked me.
"C'mon, let's go, Jackie." I said.
"Ok." She said, adjusting the sweater.
She began to walk, and we followed, once again, not speaking until Michael fell into sink beside me and Jackie ran off to talk to Annie and Mika.
"How do you plan on getting her mom awake, she's really counting on you, you can't let her down." He said.
"I know, I'm depending on the fact that she trusts me." I told him. "I don't want anyone else hurt."
"But we don't know where we are or where a curing center is." He said.
"Yeah, but these people need us, we need to make it our mission to help them." I said.
"I know, but where do we go and what would we do?" Michael said. "The only reason I am saying this is because I want the best for her, too. I want her to know the truth and not get her hopes up, the world is harsh at these times. I doesn't care what age you are."
"I know, but maybe we can try to keep her from it, just temporary. She's already been through too much. Please, can you try to use your skill, you know, you're a genius, please try to find the new curing facility." I pleaded. "Please."
"I can try, but I need a computer." He said. "I'm sorry, but I can't make any promises."
"Thank you!" I said, throwing my arms around him.
I didn't even know Jackie all that well, but I knew it was worth it. I could just tell she needed us.
I eased up on the hug and backed off awkwardly.
We both forced a smile as we jogged to catch up to the others. As soon as Jackie saw me, she walked over to me and reached up for my hand, in her other hand, she held a large apple that I assume was given to her by Ian, who was holding the food bag.
She continued to gnaw on the apple until she had nothing left but the seeds.
She threw it behind her and continued to walk. We were nearly at the town, just a road to cross.
"Where are we anyway? This place looks familiar." Fran called back toward us.
"Swinstown." She said.
"Like Swinston N.C.?" Annie asked, excitedly.
"Yeah, why?" Jackie asked softly.
"Michael, Strawberry, Fran! We're home!" Annie yelled.