Heartglass 5: The Candidates

AZALEA

My body was quite heavy. I didn't want to leave my bed to lament over my tragic fate. But despite the heaviness and demotivation, I still prepared to visit the houses of the candidates for the Crown Princess Selection, wearing my layered cobalt blue dress with my red curly hair tied in a braided and low ponytail.

The first candidate was Lady Candice of House Admiral. The daughter of Duke Calix Admiral. She was one of the most influential ladies in the social circles–the most sought out bachelorette because of her house's influence and power. Every lady wanted to curry favor from her to gain power and connection.

But Lady Candice won't fall to these ladies with ulterior motives. Making friends, when our hearts were made of glass, was a bit tricky. If we trusted people and got too attached, we could easily be betrayed. Since everyone was struggling for power, we couldn't just trust anyone and let our guard down.

One thing we learned growing up was not to trust anyone's good intention.

The carriage stopped in front of a huge mansion with a huge rose garden on both sides, adorned by an elegant fountain with sculpted angels carrying jars of water.

The maidservants greeted us as we entered the mansion with soft and tender smiles. We were guided to the waiting room. A table full of finger foods, cakes, desserts and tea caught my eyes and the servants humbly offered us a seat but I respectfully declined. We had to visit three houses today and we didn't have the time to waste. Without a choice, they informed Lady Candice that she had to fit the ballgown right away.

After a few minutes, the maidservants guided us straight to the lady's dressing room.

Lady Candice, with her long, silky straight black hair, emerged from the inside rooms, dressed in her white chemise and stockings, ready to fit the midnight blue satin layered ballgown, embroidered with leaves and vines growing from the bottom edge up to the waist, with elbow-length draped sleeves.

Her emotionless gray eyes focused on me. Her dignified posture revealed her high-class education. I nodded a little at her before gesturing to my assistant to show her ballgown.

"Please fit this gown, Lady Candice. So we can gauge if this needs further adjustments."

Her maids received the gown from my assistant. I also accompanied them in the inside room to guide the fitting as I ordered her maids on what to do. The bodice and corsets wrapped around Lady Candice's chest and waist. The layers of the gown were worn chronologically from the petticoat to the final upper layer of the satin gown. The maids tightened the ribbon on her back and the gown revealed her seductive hourglass form. She also fit the bluish thin gloves to protect her hands from dirt and cold. She had the face and body of a seductress.

I checked every part of it to ensure that there was nothing wrong with the sewn areas. "Are you uncomfortable, Lady Candice? Is it too tight? Or too small for you? Can you properly breathe?" Usually, the ladies would endure the tight dresses just to flaunt their elegant and amazing figures.

Lady Candice slightly nodded. She also turned around in front of the mirror to check her gorgeous appearance. "The gown is very beautiful and glamorous. It is just right for me. Not too tight. I can properly breathe."

She revealed a sweet smile which I couldn't discern if fake or not. And because everyone in this kingdom was trained to fake smiles, I could no longer tell which was genuine or not.

I nodded. "Someone will deliver the gown before the day of the palace banquet. We just need to apply some final touches."

Lady Candice nodded and waved to her maids to help her undress. "Thank you, Lady Azalea. You're very reliable. By the way, there are rumors going on in the palace. That... there will be slight changes on the selection. Have you heard anything about that? You visited the royal palace yesterday, right?" she asked subtly.

Her unsmiling gray eyes were trained to me as she stared at the mirror's reflection.

I was taken aback for a while. I was uncertain if she was asking because she still didn't know or if she was already aware of the sudden changes. But I didn't think the contents of the royal decree was already made public.

I was still hoping to change the Crown Prince's decision. I shook my head. "I'm not sure what you're referring to, Lady Candice."

Lady Candice slightly bobbed her head. "No worries about that. How about staying here for tea?" she offered with a sweet smile.

I shook my head once again. "I still have to visit the other two candidates to fit their gowns. Maybe next time, Lady Candice."

Lady Candice's sweet smile didn't fade away from her lips. "Of course. Next time. Have a safe trip, Lady Azalea. Please send my regards to Lady Jaera and Lady Shirdine."

"Sure, and thank you. I'll definitely let them know." But I didn't think she meant it literally.

We headed to Lady Jaera of House Fredrich. The daughter of Marquis John Fredrich. We had the same status but I still greeted her with respect, treating her as a valued customer. We entered her dressing room. It was mostly made and decorated by cool green and cream white.

Maybe she really had a thing for green colors because the satin ballgown prepared for her was emerald green. All the candidates' ballgowns had the same designs. The only difference was the color.

With her dark brown hair and caramel eyes, the striking emerald ballgown flattered her small and pretty face and white skin. The maids and my assistants helped Lady Jaera to get dress and I noticed the slight changes on her measurements as I touched the bodice and the hem of her ballgown, carefully inspecting the fitting.

"You've lost some weight. I will adjust the gown and deliver it before the day of the ball, Lady Jaera," I said. She was slimmer and sexier this time. Maybe she was preparing so hard for the selection. I hoped she was not being too hard on herself.

Lady Jaera nodded before she spotted her appearance in front of the huge mirror.

"Thank you, Lady Azalea. How about staying for tea? Or lunch?" Her voice was hesitant and her smile faltered a little. Maybe she was nervous?

Despite her kindness, I politely declined and smiled. "Thank you for the offer. But we must head straight to the house of Mendrez now. And oh, Lady Candice sent her regards to you earlier."

Lady Jaera's face suddenly went stiff. She anxiously brushed the stray locks of her dark brown hair. "Ah... okay. Maybe I should send Lady Candice a letter. Then I'll see you again, Lady Azalea."

I nodded and bid her goodbye. I wondered how they were getting along through letters. It must be hard to pretend friends and keep your rivals in check. Unfortunately, I was caught between this rivalry. I wished I could punch that arrogant Crown Prince in the face for giving me such a huge headache.

House Mendrez was our last stop. Before meeting Lady Shirdine, daughter of Marquis Sean Mendrez, we decided to eat at a famous seafood restaurant.

When we arrived at the Mendrez Mansion, we were guided immediately to Lady Shirdine's dressing room. She fitted her mustard yellow satin ballgown with a low-cut neckline bodice, a cut just enough to cover her heartglass window. She also tried her yellowish gloves. She was captivating with her braided honey blonde hair, blue eyes and heart-shaped face.

One thing I noticed about her was her kind gaze. It looked genuine and unguarded–somewhat innocent. She was undeniably the most gorgeous among the three ladies because of her modest and demure appearance. Unfortunately, her house and origin were not on par with Duke Admiral's house.

But the Crown Princess Selection was not all about power and influence. The selection would absolutely showcase indifference. It was about owning an unbreakable heartglass–the strongest and coldest heart.

And with the slight cracks on my heartglass, I don't think I'm still suitable for the crown.

***