Heartglass 21: The Second Trial

AZALEA

With crossed legs and a silver teacup and saucer on both hands, Queen Adriana listened to our reports with a slightly tilted head. Her blue eyes watched each one of us with a cold and stern gaze. Her red lips touched the edge of her teacup as she composedly sipped her red hibiscus tea.

Lady Candice, with her black hair and light blue turtleneck dress, smiled a little and spoke with charisma as she explained what she did in Greenwoods.

"I visited Greenwoods and everything was already taken care of. The citizens cooperated and the land was rich with grains and vegetables and even its hunting grounds. The state also saved their own money to prepare for the winter so the money sent by the palace was more than enough for their needs, Your Majesty," Lady Candice stated.

The condition of the state assigned to her was so good that I almost envied her. Well, good for her. Queen Adriana slightly nodded and turned to Lady Shirdine.

With a beautiful smile plastered on Lady Shirdine's face, she spoke. "In Northwoods, there were a lot of hunting grounds where we got meat to be stored in their storage cellar. Everyone didn't have a problem with their houses so the winter preparation went by smoothly. We also visited their cities and since winter is harsher in the northern part of the Glass Kingdom, everyone is also well-prepared. I don't think they will encounter any problems this winter, Your Majesty."

"That's great. How about your trip, Lady Jaera?" Queen Adriana turned to Lady Jaera.

Lady Jaera awkwardly shifted and straightened her back. She spoke with pride. "Southwoods is poorer than the two states they mentioned but we did our best to prepare and I didn't encounter any problems. The residents were very cooperative and we managed to gather and store enough grains and meat for the winter. The residents also prepared on their own. There are also merchants who offer cheap goods that will help everyone this winter. The budget, the palace provided, had been spent wisely and Count Remuel was generous enough to help me with management," Jaera explained.

Lady Jaera was good with words. She managed to lift herself and emphasize that her state was poorer than the two states. Mostly, the southern parts of the Glass Kingdom received less attention from the royals because most lands in some areas were already barren and unproductive and were converted into slums.

"That's good, Lady Jaera. It's actually better to study management since the Crown Princess will more likely become the future Queen. The queen needs to help in ruling this kingdom," Queen Adriana said. Then she turned to me with narrowed blue eyes as if she was measuring my worth. She put down her teacup.

"How's Woodcrest, Lady Azalea?"

I stared straight into her eyes. "There are a lot of problems in Woodcrest. It was in a poor state. The people were almost helpless as if they no longer have the will to live and hopeless that they are no longer expecting to survive. But we managed to prepare the food and fix some of their shelters so that they can survive this winter. We bought blankets and grains to sustain their needs. We also hunted deer and rabbits and dried some of their meat. We also managed to create some winter clothings for them. The residents contributed their time and effort to finish the preparation despite the small budget allocation. The residents are eager to survive so I don't think there will be any problem."

Queen Adriana raised a brow. "What other problems did you encounter? You didn't encounter any backlash from the people?" she asked with curiosity.

The three ladies turned to me with interest. They also wanted to know what exactly I went through.

I shook my head. "There was a small commotion but I managed to resolve the issue. I also understand that they are repulsive against me because of my red hair but their desperation for survival is greater than their hatred. It's not wise to continue believing in myths if they aim for survival. They know they must take action to survive."