Heartglass 22: Banquet Preparations

AZALEA

I whipped my head back to my room to check the time on that vintage clock hanging on the wall. It was already almost midnight.

I returned my confused gaze to Prince Dion who was smiling a little.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Well. . ." He tilted his head and looked at me with a pitiful gaze. "Will you take pity on me if I answer that question?"

I shook my head and clenched my fists resting on the balustrades of the balcony. I didn't want to hear his answer. I was afraid I would totally change my mind about him. He was a playboy. He was inconsiderate. He was not kind at all. He was just using me. This was the image of him imprinted in my head. And I didn't plan to change my mind anytime soon.

I already had these cracks in my heart. I didn't want to inflict more pain upon myself. Damn! I'm so afraid.

I couldn't fathom what would happen to me if I fell for his charms.

I took a deep breath to compose myself. "What can I do for you, Your Royal Highness?" I formally asked, trying my best to distance myself from me, keeping my emotions in check as much as possible.

"Come, join me down here. I brought something for you," he answered.

I looked at him hesitantly. "What is it? You should have just asked a servant, Your Royal Highness." I sighed and shook my head, defeated.

He smiled mysteriously. "You'll see when you get down here. I can't entrust this to a servant."

Despite the hesitation, I nodded and agreed.

"Wait for a second. I'll be right there."

I turned my back on him as my feet increased its pace to head inside the room. I was still wearing the dress earlier so there was no need to change. I grabbed a thick shawl to cover myself and rushed out the door. My feet halted because the halls were already dark and no servants loitered around. It was eerily quiet so I carefully watched my steps. I quietly went down the stairs slowly and walked straight to the dead rose garden in the backyard—a little nervous for some reasons.

When I arrived, I saw Prince Dion, broad back on me, as he quietly stared at the dead rose vines. The wind was cool and the night was peaceful. A handsome man standing in a dead garden was somehow a breathtaking sight. When I looked around, it was only the two of us. His guards and right hand man were nowhere to be found.

I hadn't seen the secret guards he assigned to me yet. Maybe they were just too discreet, hidden in the shadows while guarding me. It was kind of creepy but at least, reassuring.

Breathless, I slowly walked to him but my steps echoed in the cobblestones.

The night was dead quiet that the sounds of footsteps immediately reached his ears. He slowly looked back.

His smile widened but it was a teasing and knowing smile. And I hated that annoying smile. Was he provoking me or something?

When I reached his position, he teasingly spoke. "You had fun using my name earlier? At your meeting with the Queen?"

Heat travelled to my cheeks. I was definitely flush red. I was just glad it was a little dark here that he won't probably notice.

I cleared my throat, a little ashamed but unapologetic. "I have to use your name to provoke them. It's for my own survival."

"The queen said you have feelings for me—that you definitely love me," he added.

I frowned. "You know that's not true. I don't love you and I don't want to love you."