Heartglass 10: First Day in the Palace

AZALEA

I walked around my empty shop which was once a bustling dress shop with overwhelming customers. After the palace banquet, I decided to close my shop. I only had one week to settle my business. I gave my employees the compensation they deserved but they were all reluctant and sad to leave. Their downcast eyes won't even meet my gaze. Maybe they already had some lingering attachments to this place–their workplace.

A few dresses were still displayed in the racks. My hands touched the silky and soft fabrics of each dresses. Some of these dresses were already concealed by plastics. There were also boxes that must be moved inside the storage room.

To avoid being too emotional, I decided to move the dresses inside the storage room and clean some desks–especially my working desk which teemed with messy papers and designs inside my organizer and portfolio. I let down the velvet curtains to cover the gigantic window and transparent walls.

I sighed heavily as I looked around. I would ask our maids to clean this place from time to time. I never thought I would leave this place just for the selection. I mean the selection is never a part of my plans.

Another sigh escaped my lips. I turned off the lights of the elegant chandelier and locked the door, displaying a 'CLOSED' signboard outside.

I will definitely miss this place.

~~~

Today, I packed my dresses and personal things. I also brought some rolled papers and pencils, in case I wanted to create some new dress designs. It was also my way to breathe. The maids were walking back and forth as I give orders and as they prepare my baggage.

My mother walked and stood next to me as she watched the maids do their tasks. "Are you ready? I mean are you going to be all right in the palace?" she asked. There was a hint of worry in her voice. And there was also reluctance. I could feel that she didn't want me to leave. But there was no way to stop this.

I nodded. "You don't have to worry. I will come back after three months. I just have to survive each trial. And ensure that Prince Dion won't choose me," I answered although a part of me doubted the last statement. The Crown Prince seemed to be betting on me but I still couldn't understand his real intention.

The day was hectic because the coach, maids and knights who would accompany me to the palace would arrive soon. My mother nodded with hesitation. I noticed how her one hand almost crumpled her dress–absolutely more nervous than me.

"Don't fall in love with the Crown Prince," she quietly said, almost a whisper, like a silent plea. "Guard your heart, Azalea. You heard the rumors spreading now? That you are related to the witch? That you will become the Crown Prince's weakness? That you did some underhanded methods to seduce the prince? That you forced him to include your name in the list? They considered you as the dark horse of this selection."

I helplessly smiled. My mother really knew the latest gossips.

"Don't bother with the rumors. Don't overthink. I will survive... even if the god of death is against it. No one can stop me from living this life," I reassured her.

Well, they couldn't crucify me for the things they hadn't proved yet, right? It was just rumors. It shouldn't affect me in the slightest. But if the Crown Prince died with a shattered heartglass, even if I was not really at fault, they would–without a doubt–blame and execute me right away.

Before this selection even started, they were already convinced that Lady Candice would be the next queen but because of my sudden involvement, they became uncertain.