Heartglass 29: Framed

AZALEA

Arrows slammed against the target boards in succession. I was training with the knights together with Lady Candice. I had been practicing for hours now and my hands were already aching due to the force I exerted for the arrows to hit my own target board. The gap between me and Lady Candice on archery was so obvious that I had to put forth more effort if I wanted to excel in the hunting competition.

Lady Candice seemed confident, especially after witnessing my mediocre skills. My archery instructor was patient and would let me extend my training hours. He was one of the guards who accompanied me to Woodcrest—Knight Gabriel. My shoulders were already stiff and sore so I was already close to giving up. I already had some blisters in my hands. My forehead was already sweating due to the gruelling rays of the sun.

I notched another arrow on my bow and carefully released it after checking my aim—the red dot on the center of the target board. The arrow landed with a thud near the bullseye. It was still a miss. I sighed but Gabriel, who was standing next to me, smiled. Gabriel was my personal trainer who was teaching me about swords, knives and archery.

"Your current progress is already praiseworthy, Lady Azalea," Gabriel said. "You just need to practice a little more. When hunting, aim for the heart or the head to ensure that your target won't be able to flee. If your target is bigger than you—like a bear, a shot won't be enough to take the animal down unless you manage to pierce right through its heart. You need to be more strategic when aiming. You can target the eyes to blind them but they will definitely attack you in rage and it will be dangerous. Try to shoot at the critical parts of their body to take them down or incapacitate them. You must be careful and keep your distance from them."

I sighed and turned to him. "This is enough for today, Sir Gabriel. Thank you for your patience."

Gabriel nodded and bowed a little. "I shall take my leave now, my lady." He turned to join his fellow knights and continued his own training.

"Milady, His Royal Highness—the Crown Prince—invited you for tea," Yumi informed with a small smile.

I nodded. "I will change first." I was wearing a white shirt and black trousers and black hunter boots with my red curls tied in a high ponytail. I was already bathed in my own sweat and I didn't think this appearance was appropriate to face Prince Dion. Yumi handed me a towel and I lightly wiped the sweat away beading on my forehead.

I noticed how Lady Candice frowned when she heard my afternoon plans. She also ended her session right away to return to the Ruby Palace.

Yumi nodded. "I will prepare your bath, my lady." She turned to Sabrina. "Please inform His Royal Highness that she will be late for a while."

Sabrina nodded. "I shall inform His Royal Highness right away." She turned to leave and Cherry went back with us to the Ruby Palace. I took a bath and Yumi helped me with my change of clothes. I wore a light blue layered dress and my red curls were combed and tied into a half-ponytail.

I was guided into the glass greenhouse. The flowers were in full bloom and I noticed the butterflies flying to gather nectars from the freshly opened buds.

Prince Dion was already sitting on the metal chair while watching the running water from the fountain. He was lost in deep thought until he heard the sound of my footsteps. His head turned to me and a small smile grazed his lips. He gestured for me to take a seat. I noticed he was wearing a black suit with his ash blue hair combed back.

"What's up?" I asked with furrowed brows. The maidservant served me some tea so I sipped a little of it.

"I heard about the last trial. Are you going to be okay?" He asked with eyes full of concern. His eyes were filled with absolute worry. "I heard you're not that good at hunting." But then his lips slowly formed a small grin as if he just discovered one of my weaknesses.