Heartglass 15: The First Trial

AZALEA

Thursday morning. We would be taking our horse riding lessons and the Crown Prince would accompany us with our instructor, Sir Drake. I was dressed in white shirt, leather pants, black leather boots and gloved hands. My red curls were tied into a high ponytail.

My maids guided me to the horse stable where the Prince Dion and Sir Drake were waiting. The weather was nice and the sky was clear and blue.

Lady Candice also arrived together with me, wearing a dark blue shirt, leather pants and boots. Her black hair was also tied into a high ponytail. Her sharp and high cheekbones were exposed so somehow, she looked regal.

Lady Jaera was also waiting with Lady Shirdine. Lady Shirdine had the most innocent face and she greeted us with a smile when we arrived. Lady Jaera's gaze was focused on the Crown Prince that she was not able to acknowledge our presence. Lady Jaera was wearing a green shirt while Lady Shirdine preferred yellow.

"Good morning, ladies," Prince Dion smiled at all of us. We quickly curtsied to pay our respect.

"At ease. It's a nice day for horse riding," he said. "Sir Drake will give you instructions if you're not yet familiar of riding a horse."

"Good morning, ladies. I will be your instructor for your horse riding lessons. For now, we must pick a horse for you to ride," Sir Drake said with a respectful smile. The caretaker of the horses gave us one apple each. "Just give this apple to the horse you've chosen so that they will acknowledge you as its master."

We walked inside the stable to pick our horses. "Some horses here have bad temperament and they won't let you ride them so easily. But some are nice, obedient and easy to ride." Sir Drake pointed the horses which were obedient.

When I looked around, I noticed some horses were huge and scary. They were probably war horses. Some horses were innocent looking and were not too big. These horses were suitable for ladies to ride. Lady Candice and Lady Jaera seemed familiar with horse riding so they immediately picked a horse. They both selected elegant white horses which could be found at the end of the stable.

Lady Shirdine was hesitating to choose. Sir Drake gave some advice so she could pick a horse easily. She chose a brown horse which obediently ate the apple she offered. I wandered inside the stable and checked the horses. I stopped in front of a black horse with an elegant and long black mane. The horse looked strong and it stared straight into my eyes. I smiled. I felt like we already made a connection so I offered an apple which it ate without making a fuss.

The Crown Prince stood next to me. "This is a good horse."

I frowned. I didn't want his attention. Especially when all the candidates were present. I didn't say anything to avoid a conversation. The servants freed the selected horses and guided them outside the stable.

"Now that you've chosen the horses, we will be heading to the horse tracks. It will better if you can ride a horse, especially if the palace hosts a hunting competition or if a war suddenly breaks out. Since one of you will be the future Crown Princess and Queen, we must also ensure your safety," Sir Drake explained when we gathered outside.

"Now, please mount on your horses," he continued. Lady Candice and Lady Jaera mounted their horses elegantly. They didn't even need a hand. They probably received some private tutoring. Lady Shirdine was helped by the Crown Prince because she couldn't ride the horse. Prince Dion was gentle with Lady Shirdine and it seemed the two ladies who mounted their horses first were a little regretful.

Prince Dion turned to me with a small smile. "Need some help?"

I shook my head. I also didn't need anyone's help. Although I was into dresses, I learned some basic skills about horse riding. I mounted my horse with ease and stroked its head. "Good boy."