Heartglass 19: Duke of Veare

AZALEA

After dinner, Prince Dion invited me for a walk in the garden. The night was so chilly even though I was wearing a long sleeved, turtle-neck layered dress. Prince Dion was wearing a simple thick black coat, buttoned sleeved shirt and black trousers and leather shoes.

The gentle and sweet fragrance mixed in the air invaded my sense of smell as my eyes admired the full bloom of the snowdrops, irises and daphnes. Some mandevilla gracefully climbed the arched trellises. The garden was surprisingly well kept.

Our footsteps echoed in the cobblestones as we slowly strolled in the garden.

The silence was gripping but I didn't know how to open a conversation. When I secretly glanced over Prince Dion, he was silently enjoying the view. His blue eyes were trained on the flowers. He had a mysterious glint on his face. Maybe I should blame it on the moonlight.

I uncomfortably fidgeted on my hand. I didn't like it when I was paying attention to him.

Why did he even ask me for a walk if he didn't plan to speak? It was just a waste of our time.

He stopped at the end of the garden where there were full bloom red roses. He carefully picked a rose, cutting it from its stem. He faced me and offered the red rose to me. I liked red roses but I didn't want to receive it from anyone, especially from him.

"This rose is for you, Lady Azalea." Prince Dion had a small smile tugging on his lips.

I frowned. "Don't give roses if you don't mean it. Or others will misunderstand." I still accepted the rose in spite of myself. At least, I didn't want to be rude.

"Why do you have to spend this time with me when you can just rest in your room? You're doing something unnecessary. It will be best to keep our distance from each other," I added.

A smile registered at the corner of his lips. "You're good at ruining the almost romantic mood."

I glared at him. "I'm just stating a fact that what you're doing is unnecessary."

Prince Dion grinned. "You're not aware yet but you're already undergoing another trial."

My brows knitted in confusion. So this is a trial? "What trial? But is it okay to reveal it to me?"

"I'm telling you this because I want you to get the Crown Princess seat. I want you to stay on guard against everyone, even against me."

I gulped. This felt like cheating and I felt bad. But I wanted to know because I didn't want to break. My survival instincts were stronger than my principles. "What's this trial about?"

"A trial that involves the heart. If you fall, there's a chance you will break. The queen ordered me to spend some time alone with the candidates. To capture your hearts. Of course, we need someone with the strongest heart out of all the candidates."

He had a serious look upon his face as if he didn't come here to play.

I gaped in surprise. "So you mean you'll also do these kinds of things with the other candidates?"

He nodded without smiling. His eyes looked straight into my eyes. As if he didn't plan on hiding anything from me.

I suddenly had the urge to puke. There was an invisible force tightening on my heart and it was so hard to breathe. I had a feeling that my heart would crack if I didn't stop the nauseating feeling rushing in.

I took a deep breath to compose myself. I see. So everything he had shown me was just for show. I shouldn't believe in everything and expect any sincerity from him. I felt like I was suddenly kicked in the gut which woke me up from reality. I felt sober even though I was not drunk.