- 22 -

DAVINA DIDN'T TALK to Sirius for days after the incident

DAVINA DIDN'T TALK to Sirius for days after the incident. The boys had heavily reprimanded the boy and told him that his words were careless and reckless and inflicted more damage than he thought.

Sirius of course was wracked with guilt and wanted to apologize but he had no clue how to.

One day, Sirius cornered the girl in the common room. Davina had been completing a charms essay and when she saw Sirius's shoes flash by she immediately tensed. 

"Hey," he whispered. She made no more to acknowledge the man but continued to sit and stare.

"Look, I'm not the best and apologies..." he started but was cut off by Davina standing up and packing her stuff away.

"Hold on, I'm trying to apologize" Sirius frowned. Davina turned to look at him with a blank look on her face.

"We aren't friends. You don't have to apologize." Sirius's frown deepened at her response.

"I know" he whispered, "but I feel as if I need to"

"You don't" she reassured. She tried to walk away but was stopped when he grabbed her hand pulling her back.

"Please" he begged. The guilt was chewing at him, and friend or not he owed her an apology.

"Alright," she relented. Sirius deflated slightly and nodded his head.

"I'm sorry for accusing you of being a death- well you know what."

Davina knew she should forgive him. But the reality was, would he learn from it?

"I couldn't care less if you called me the dark lord himself" she said. She wasn't lying. She would've been lying more if the man was her father, but this was his past self. Not the man that she had known. So no, she wasn't lying when she said it still hurt because it really didn't. Her father was dead and instead, she found herself associating with his younger self.

"Oh," Sirius said.

"I would forgive you but I doubt you'd understand"

"I'd understand" Sirius rushed. Her forgiveness meant a lot to him, why he'd never know.

She sighed. "Regulus"

Sirius blanched at her words. He didn't think much about his words to Regulus. He'd regretted leaving his little brother at home on his own but when he returned cold and distant he'd assumed that he wanted nothing to do with Sirius.

"What about him?" He said.

"You need to lay off him"

"I don't say anything that isn't true" he argued.

Davina sighed. She knew that he was stubborn but not this much.

"When I attended Beauxbatons," she said after a moment of silence. "There was this girl, she was stunning, amazing in fact but her father was a bad man"

"What does this-" Sirius tried to say but was cut off by Davina.

"Her first years were tough. She used to get teased and she struggled to make new friends" she continued. "All because her father was a tainted man. Do you think that was far?"

"Well-"

"The numerous hexes she was sent, the snide comments, the loneliness?" She scowled.

"Well of course not" Sirius denied.

"Then why do you treat Reggie the same way?"

"What- what do you mean?" He said startled.

"He's your brother Sirius," she said. "And I know I've said it a lot but you don't seem to comprehend what I'm saying"

"I do okay! I know that he's my brother but does he? I tried so hard to make him see that our parents were wrong but he didn't care! He chose to follow their stupid plans and make a name of himself" he hissed. Sirius collapsed on the ground and brought his knees to his chest and openly sobbed into them. 

Davina sat down next to him and gently wrapped him in a hug. They stayed like that until Sirius's sobs turned into small sniffles. 

"He understands" Davina stated, running her fingers through his hair. "He understands what position he's in but what can he do? He hasn't got someone like James in his life, he hasn't got close friends that he can run off with" 

"He could stay with me and James" Sirius argued.

"But he's an open target in Slytherin" She rebutted. The pair lapsed into silence with only the slight humming from Davina and the slight rustle when she moved her fingers in his hair. 

"Why can't life be simple?" Sirius asked, a defeated looking adorning his face. 

"When has it ever?" 

"How do I- well you know" 

"Mend your bond with Regulus?" Davina asked, a slight tilt of her lips. 

"Yeah"

"Just be there for him," she said. 

"Will that be enough?"

"For him? That'll be plenty"