- 34 -

Davina's sixth year started off pretty normal

Davina's sixth year started off pretty normal. Due to the curse on the DADA position, there was a new teacher and Davina hated to admit it but the last DADA teacher somehow wormed his way into her heart. She hadn't had DADA yet but rumor was that the new professor was a pig and disgusting man.

She settled down for breakfast that morning and server herself a small platter or pancakes. Pancakes had always been a favorite of hers, how? She didn't know why. Maybe it had been the countless times that she had eaten pancakes after Lucius had forbidden any food with flavor for the Gryffindor child.

"Morning Evergreen," Lily greeted sliding into the seat opposite her. Davina nodded but there was a small twitch of her lips. Harry definitely had Lily's stubbornness and it reminded her of the countless times in their time together that the boy had used it against her.

"Still cold?" James smirked, but there was no real hate behind it. The boys had come to realize that Davina wasn't going to change her attitude towards her but she was making an effort and that was the best that they could ask for. They still had no clue why the girl was cold towards but decided to leave it.

"Come in it's a new year" Sirius whined, "can't we all be friends?"

"We are friends though," Maisie giggled. There was an awkward cough and eyes flickered to Davina and Marlene. The silence was soon interrupted by the flutter of wings signifying the arrivals of the owls and news.

"News" James sang, grabbing the parcel attached to the wings of the owl. He eagerly tore up the package and grinned when he saw the amount of sweets that were in the box. Sirius himself was giddy with the amount of sweets that he had received from Mrs Potter. 

"No!" A shriek resounded. Everyone in the hall turned to look at Marlene who had her hand to her face and a crumpled daily prophet on the table in front. The teachers instantly rushed to reassure the hysteric girl and lead her out of the hall, away from prying eyes.

"What?..." Sirius said, furrowing his eyebrows. He reached for the prophet and looked at the page before his face grew pale. 

MELISSA MCKINNON AND HER HUSBAND FOUND DEAD! POSSIBLE DEATH EATER ACTIVITY!

Mother  and father of  5 found dead in their family house. Witness eye accounts state it was a peaceful Monday morning when she left the house to the local muggle grocer. She recalled seeing the loving couple shopping for daily necessities and they seemed to not have a care in the world. When returning the eye witness claimed to fall asleep for roughly two hours but was awoken by a sudden bang. When she glanced outside the window she came face to face with a completely tarnished house roaring with flamed. 

What was most frightening, was the dark mark that floated on top of the house. 

We attempted to interview the Mckinnon children but we got no replies from the four devastated brothers. It appeared that they were sobbing their hearts out in grief and cursing at V********, or you know who, and swearing that they would get revenge. 

Our hearts go out to the children of the now deceased parents and we want them to know that the Aurors will not stop at nothing to get back at this terrible crime. 

"We will stop at nothing" one passionate Auror, David Smithe states, "to make sure that you know who pays for this crime!"

Davina felt her breath leave her. She didn't know the exactly when the deaths had occurred but she did know that it wasn't meant to happen for a while. She felt her throat close up on her and rough pants escape her throat. Her eyes began to water and she tried desperately to stop the terror that filled her. 

Davina it's not your fault

You can't save everyone

Davina! 

DAVINA!

"Davina!" someone shrieked stopping the voice in her head. She looked to see Maisie holding her shoulders, looking her in the eyes. She could just make out her shape but her eyes continued to blur with tears.

"Vina," a soft voice cooed. She instantly turned into the person and wrapped her arms around their neck. She could tell it was Regulus instantly and she needed the comfort from someone who knew where she was coming from. 

"Oh Vina," he sighed, carding his fingers through her hair. "You're alright" 

"Davina" Remus said hesitantly. She quickly stiffened before sitting up and wiping at her eyes, planting a huge smile. She cleared her throat before looking at Remus, trying her hardest not to cringe when her vision immediately brought up the older dead version of him. 

"I'm fine" she said, her voice cracking slightly. 

"You sure?" Sirius said. Her eyes filled with more tears at the idea that her father was sitting right in front of her and yet they were slightly sour with each other. She wanted more than nothing for her father to hug her and tell her that she was alright and that he was there and nothing could hurt in his presence. That she was everything he needed from her.

"Y-yeah" she said. She turned to Regulus who nodded his head and gathered the girl into his arms, taking her out of the hall. The boy walked her to her dorms before leaving her there knowing that she probably wanted some time alone. He really didn't want to but Davina had reassured him that she was fine and nothing would happen to her. 

She crashed onto her bed, sobs wracking her body as they fought and clawed to leave her throat. She whimpered, burying her head into her pillow, muffling the sounds that threatened to escape her.  

There was nothing you could've done

Don't beat yourself up Vina

I love you so much and I'm so proud of you

You can't save everyone 

"Ms Evergreen" a voice interrupted. She turned to see Professor Dumbledore standing at her door, looking at the upset girl. She brought her knees up to her chest and laced her arms around them, finding comfort in herself. 

"Are you alright my dear?" the man questioned. Davina just glanced at him tearfully. She returned her gaze back to her laced hands and furrowed her brows. Dumbledore took a seat at the edge of the bed and looked at the saddened girl. 

"What has brought you such sorrow?" The girl looked at the headmaster sadly before sniffling slightly. 

"T-the Mckinnon's I guess." she sighed. "I didn't expect them to be so-"

"Yes, it is often quite confronting when one realises the extent to how far people will go for what they believe in. No matter whom they hurt"

Davina couldn't help but agree with such statement. Both sides of the war had taken from each other and failed to see the lasting impact that it had on the poor bystanders. Children like herself and Harry were dragged into such fights and were denied the right to a childhood and the adults, so stuck up in the war, failed to see that they were just kids. 

"And I'm afraid that you children will be caught in this turmoil of events" he continued.

"It's not fair you know?" Davina said, looking tearfully at the professor. "We're just kids. They can't expect us to do much can they." 

"I know." 

The two of them sat in silence and let their thoughts overwhelm them. Both were thinking completely different things but most of the thoughts revolved around the same kinda thing. There was a war brewing and it was nearing. The dark side appeared to be making a move, and now the light side needed to rebut. 

You can't save everyone Davina, don't ever forget that. Otherwise you won't last.