Chapter 2

"It really is you! Zayn Javadd Malik. Damn. How did you get all the way here from good ol' Brad, the loser highschool?"

"Oh fuck off, you Chessies were the definition of loser highschool. I mean, tell me you don't remember how you used to cut your hair, oh my God- but hey, you look great, now, though." Harry winked in reply, ever a flirt and Zayn froze when he was pulled into a hug. To be honest, he had missed having someone to be affectionate with. He'd missed being hugged.

"You say that but you dated me, anyway."

"How else was I gonna get all those free cookies? How's your mum? And your sister?"

"Mum's swell. Gem's annoying, as usual, it's all love though. But seriously, mate, what are you doing here? I keep trying to make sense of it. Thought you were going to college there, too."

"Ah. Well... Slight change in plans, mate." His voice lost its strength. He hoped Harry wouldn't notice, since they were both scatterbrained idiots but when it came to important things, Harry always tended to pay attention.

"You don't sound so hot. Do you wanna talk about it? We can sit out here for a bit, no one's around."

"We're late-"

"I'm always late to everything, my teachers are used to me by now and as for you, I doubt you give a damn, huh?"

"Actually, I'm studying a course I actually want so things are a little different, now."

"Zayn... Seriously, what the fuck happened?" Zayn got tired of forcing a smile and gave Harry a deadpan look, walking into the school. Harry chased after him, sighing. "That bad, huh? My poor baby... Want me to kiss it better?"

"You're a second away from getting punched in the face. Choose your next words wisely."

"You look like you want to get it off your chest. If you do, you know you can trust me, huh?"

"I... Fuck. I'll tell you later. I'm really, really late. Could you just help me find the office, Hazz?" Harry nodded gravely. Not only did he help him to the office but he waited for him to show up, again and led him to his first class. Honestly, after seeing his possible crush with some random girl, he appreciated the kindness more than Harry knew but, being the person he was, told him he was an idiot for wasting his time helping. Harry winked, popping his head in when Zayn entered and yelled "love you too" before he disappeared with a smirk.

"That little sh- uh, hi. Sorry I'm late. I'm new...?" The professor arched a brow, the entire class laughing when he gave an awkward little wave and he sighed once he was allowed to sit, steamrolling to the back to keep away from all that attention. Soon enough, he was forgotten, distracting his mind with some doodles until he heard the bell.

His periods went the same way for the most part. He had always struggled to pay attention in class but luckily, since he was in college, teachers did send material at times and the textbooks would certainly be useful when he tried to cram everything in the day before exams. All he cared about, really, was getting through it and avoiding both Liam and Harry. The latter wouldn't let that happen, though.

"Zayn! Baby!"

"Thank you, Styles, thank you. People are gonna start to think we're dating the way you keep yelling for me like this."

"Oop. Sorry babe, I'll be good," He muttered with a sneaky kiss to Zayn's cheek. He was going to pummel the dumbass into the ground, that was a promise. Harry noticed his teeth were gritted and gave up the teasing, dragging him over to his seat. "Oi, take a breath. I forget it's your first day and your neurodivergent ass must be stressed as fuck right now."