Chapter 13

"Hello? Everyone? Can I have your attention, please?!"

"Liam, what are you doing?!" Zayn whisper-yelled, gripping his wrist in turn and trying to tug him off the freaking table he was standing on. "People are trying to eat and relax, okay? Look, you don't have to- I was just saying that to dissuade you but now I know you would do it so come down from there-"

"Everyone, this is Zayn. I don't know how many people know, although gossip spreads fast here so there should be quite a few of you, but I kind of nearly said something awful to him and it messed up our friendship. And it was something horrible, so believe me, he shouldn't even forgive me. But he told me that if I came out here and apologised, then maybe things would get better. And I was pretty shocked because of him being a super introverted guy and all but I'm taking this chance, anyway. Now, Zayn?"

"You're a fucking idiot," he said with his eyes shining. Liam smiled back down at him and gave a nod.

"I know. But I really would do anything to have you back. You're my best mate. To me, you're honestly the most amazing person I know. So forgive me for being a..."

"Stupid straggot dickface."

"A stupid straggot dickface for a moment, back there. I swear, I wasn't thinking and that's not excuse enough but hopefully... You'll forgive me anyway? Pretty, pretty please? I'll never do something that stupid again, I swear, just let me work on getting you to trust me again."

"...goddammit I never stopped trusting you. You're forgiven, just get down from there you total dumbass." Liam beamed and hopped off, squeezing Zayn in a hug. A good number of people cheered for them, Niall and the others loudest of all but he didn't care. He was just glad he had his friend back. Zayn seemed to catch wind of the attention and clung to his shirt cutely, giving his chest a soft jab when Liam laughed.

"I'm sorry. You're just adorable."

"I didn't know you were gonna do it! And like... Right now- and like that- holy shit, you are such a Payne in the arse."

"What can I say? You inspire me."

"Stupid silver-tongued asshole."

"Eh. I'm your stupid silver-tongued asshole so it's okay." Zayn rolled his eyes but reached to hug him again. Before he could, a loud voice stopped them in their tracks.

"I'm sorry, what the fuck is going on, here?" Bailey, as always, had appeared at the shittiest of times, ready with her drama. Zayn sighed and grabbed Liam's arm, subconsciously pushing him behind himself. The brunette flinched for a moment, then slacked into his hold when he remembered this was Zayn and he would never hurt him. Unlike Bailey. "Would you excuse us, Zayn?"

"Wow, what a lovely smile, just for me? Seems like someone's in trouble, again." That earned a playful shove from Liam but Zayn didn't budge all the same, turning around and placing a hand on Liam's cheek just to piss her off. "You sure you want to be alone with her? I'll stick right here, no problem."

"I- n-no, Zayn, it's fine. She is- she was my girlfriend, after all." Zayn gave him a proud nod once he corrected himself, then turned to Bailey. And she was indeed pissed off, as he'd hoped.

"Was? What are you even talking about?" She pulled Liam away and Zayn frowned. She definitely wasn't planning on getting back together, was she? And if she was... What if Liam said yes? What then? He thought things were finally good but for all he knew, that had just been a momentary cog in the wheel of Bailey's control over his crush. He wasn't sure he could even be friends with Liam if he decided to stay with a homophobe.

"I thought you two had that fight?"

"We did but we ironed it out. He's my mate, again."

"But he's... You know what? Whatever. Liam, baby, I'm still your girlfriend. I was just upset with you, that's all."