3

The next day, after school, Stiles, Scott and I are walking in the woods where we were last night because my idiot brother dropped his inhaler on the ground while he was being "bitten by a wolf" as he continues to claim. 'I don't know what it was. It was like I had all the time in the world to catch the ball. And that's not the only weird thing.' Scott tells us.

'I can hear things I shouldn't be able to hear. Smell things.' 'Smell things?' I ask him and he turns to Stiles, 'Like mint mojito gum in your pocket.' He says and Stiles starts to rummage through his pocket. 'I don't have any mint mojito-' He trails off as out of his pocket he pulls a half unwrapped piece of mint mojito gum. He frowns at Scott and Scott just puts his arms out to the side and shrugs.

'So this all started with a bite.' I state. 'What if it's like an infection, like my body's filling with adrenaline before I go into shock or something?' Scott asks us, worried. 'You know what? I actually think I've heard of this. It's a specific kind of infection.' Scott stops in his tracks as Stiles says this and I hold back a laugh, already knowing what he's going to say.

'Are you serious?' 'Yeah. Yeah, I think it's called lycanthropy.' I let a giggle slip past my lips and have to cover it with a cough as Scott quickly looks between us. 'What's that? Is that bad?' He asks and I nod solemnly as Stiles says, 'Oh, yeah, it's the worst. But only once a month.' Scott is even more confused now. 'Once a month?' 'Mhm. On the night of the full moon.' I say as Stiles howls teasingly.

'Hey, you're the one who heard a wolf howling.' Stiles says as Scott whacks us on our shoulders. 'Hey, there could be something seriously wrong with me.' 'I know! You're a werewolf!' Stiles says and I make a growling noise, 'Rrr!' Scott rolls his eyes at our immaturity. 'Okay, obviously we're kidding. But, if you see me in shop class trying to melt all the silver I can find, it's 'cause Friday's a full moon.'

'God, don't remind me.' I mutter under my breath as Scott stops moving and looks at the ground, 'No, I- I could have sworn this was it. I saw the body, the deer came running, I dropped my inhaler.' 'Maybe the killer moved the body.' Stiles says as Scott bends down and starts searching through the leaves on the ground. 'If he did, I hope he left my inhaler. Those things are like 80 bucks.' Scott says.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a person and so must Stiles because he whacks Scott on the shoulder. All three of us turn towards the man that stands there as he starts to walk closer towards us. 'What are you doing here? Huh? This is private property.' 'Uh, sorry, man, we didn't know.' Stiles says. 'Yeah, we were just looking for something, but... Uh, forget it.' He throws Scott his blue and white inhaler and walks off.

'Come on guys, I've got to get to work.' Scott tells us. 'Guys, that was Derek Hale. You remember, right? He's only like a few years older than us.' 'Remember what?' Scott asks Stiles and I roll my eyes, 'His family, they all burned to death in a fire like ten or something years ago.' 'I wonder what he's doing back.' Scott says and Stiles just sighs, 'Come on.'
———————————————————
Friday comes in no time. Scott has been a success on the lacrosse field all week and Stiles has been nailing sitting on the bench and watching him. I am currently sitting in Stiles's bedroom on his bed as he looked at werewolf myths and wolfsbane on the laptop, printing off photo after photo. God, he's so cute when he gets all excited about something. He is so absorbed with what's on his laptop that he jumps about an inch out of his chair when someone knocks on the door.

Stiles closes his laptop to open the door, he sighs, 'Get in. You gotta see this, dude.' Stiles says when he sees that it's Scott. 'I've been up all night reading. Websites, books. All this information.' he tells Scott as he rummages around for something to show him. 'How much Adderall have you had today?' Scott asks, 'A lot.' I answer for Stiles as I sit up on the bed. 'Doesn't matter. Okay, just listen.'

'Is this about the body? Did they find out who did it?' Scott asks as he throws his bag in my lap. I roll my eyes and chuck in on the floor so I can move to sit on the edge of the bed next to him. 'No, they're still questioning people, even Derek Hale.' Stiles tells him. 'Oh, the guy in the woods that we saw the other day.' Stiles nods at Scott's question, getting a little impatient. 'Yeah, yes. But that's not it, okay? Remember the joke from the other day? Not a joke anymore.' Scott gives him a questioning look, 'The wolf. The bite in the woods. I started doing all this reading. Do you even know why a wolf howls?' Stiles asks, jumping up from the chair.

'Should I?' Scott asks, 'It's a signal, okay? When a wolf's alone, it howls to signal its location to the rest of the pack. So if you heard a wolf howling, that means others could have been nearby. Maybe even a whole pack of them.' Scott gets slightly wide-eyed, 'A whole pack of wolves?' he asks. 'No, werewolves.' I reply from next to him and Stiles nods. Scott looks from me to Stiles before getting up, 'Are you seriously wasting my time with this?' he asks us as he picks up his bag, 'You know I'm picking up Allison in an hour.' Ah yes, Allison and Scott. Scott and Allison. I still can't believe she's going to Lydia's party with him, I still can't believe I'm going to Lydia's party at all.

'I saw you on the field today, Scott. Okay, what you did wasn't just amazing, all right? It was impossible.' Stiles tells him, 'Yeah, so I made a good shot.' 'No, you made an incredible shot.' he throws Scott's bag back on the bed, 'I mean, the way you moved, your speed, your reflexes. People can't just suddenly do that overnight. And there's the vision and the senses and don't even think I don't notice that you don't need your inhaler anymore.' Stiles goes on, pacing and making big, flappy arm movements.

'Okay! Dude, I can't think about this now. We'll talk tomorrow.' Scott says. 'Tomorrow? What? No! The full moon's tonight. Don't you get it?' Stiles tells him. 'What are you guys trying to do? I just made first line. I got a date with a girl who I can't believe wants to go out with me. Everything in my life is somehow perfect. Why are you both trying to ruin it?' he says, looking back and forth between me and Stiles. I get up off the bed and stand behind Stiles who's now back in his desk chair.

'We're trying to help.' I tell him, 'You're cursed, Scott. You know, and it's not just that the moon will cause you to physically change.' Stiles says, 'It also just happens to be when your bloodlust will be at its peak' I finish. 'Bloodlust?' Scott rolls his eyes at us, 'Yeah, your urge to kill.' Scott sighs, 'I'm already feeling an urge to kill, Stiles.' I sigh and give Stiles a book he has on his cluttered desk, 'You gotta hear this. "The change can be caused by anger or anything that raises your pulse."' Stiles reads. 'And I haven't seen anyone raise your pulse like Allison does.' I say to Scott. 'Yeah, you gotta cancel this date. I'm gonna call her right now.'

Stiles gets up from his chair and starts rummaging through Scott's bag for his phone. 'What are you doing?' Scott asks him in an exasperated tone as Stiles finds his phone and starts going through it. 'I'm cancelling the date.' Stiles tells him. 'No!' Scott shouts, 'Give it to me!' He grabs Stiles by the shirt and pins him to the wall, causing a loud bang. He holds his fist up to punch him in the face, breathing heavily. He lets go of Stiles and pushes his chair to the ground with a loud grunt, pushing me over with it. Scott looks from me to Stiles to the chair. 'I'm sorry.' He says 'I gotta go get ready for that party.' He stammers a bit before grabbing his bag and going.

Stiles leaves the wall and offers me his hand to help me off the ground before picking up the chair. We're still holding hands when Stiles turns the chair around and points at it, 'Look...' He tells me and right where Scott's hand had connected with the chair are three long claw mark shaped rips in the fabric. Stiles and I look at each other and I know we're both thinking the same thing. This is just the beginning.

———————————————————
1556 words