10

A girl lay on the ground, broken and bloody. Her face scratched and contorted beyond recognition. I could hear her breath rasping, trying to get air into her dying lungs. Foot prints lead to and away from the body, pointy claw marks at the edges of the toes. The food prints of a werewolf. This young woman was bleeding out against the roots of a tree, a tree I had seen before. That same damn tree. I hear sirens going and police lights flashing, closely followed by that all too known voice. Sheriff Stilinski. What is this, who is that girl, why that tree again. I make eye contact with the dying body, why that fucking tree.

———————————————————

'Still not talking to me?' When Stiles doesn't reply to tap his arm and give him a stern look. 'Can you at least tell me if your dad's okay? I mean, it's just a bruise, right? Some soft tissue damage? Nothing that big?' I can see the poor boy struggling to keep his mouth shut and keep icing out my brother. 'You know I feel really bad about it, right?' He's going to give in soon, I can tell. 'What if I told you that I'm trying to figure this whole thing out, and... that I went to Derek for help?' Here we go.

'If I was talking to you, I'd say that you're an idiot for trusting him.' There's a slight pause, 'But obviously I'm not talking to you.' I roll my eyes and let out a loud sigh as the bell rings. No longer than 30 seconds later Stiles turns around in his chair and I almost fist bump the air but decide it may not be the best idea sitting in the middle of a silent classroom.

'What did he say?' Scott grins and proceeds to tell him all the stuff I already know.

'What, he wants you to tap into your animal side and get angry?' Stiles asks as we walk out of class. 'Yeah.' 'Alright, well, correct me if I'm wrong, but every time you do that, you try to kill someone, and that someone's usually me.' I roll my eyes 'Or me?' 'I know. That's what he means when he says he doesn't know if he can teach me. I have to be able to control it.'

'Well how's he gonna teach you to do that?' Stiles asks my clueless brother. 'I don't know. I don't think he does either.' I get a text from Lydia and from then on out am only half listening to the conversation.

Lyd 🫶🫶
Why were u at my house yesterday? And with that dorky kid that hangs out with your brother of all people?

Vi ⭐️
We were just checking up on u but u were pretty drugged up

Lyd 🫶🫶
Come sit.

'Hey, um, I'll catch up with you guys later, I'm just going to go meet with Allison and Lydia.' They both nod, 'Okay, we'll be on the lacrosse field.' Scott gives him a strange look and I wonder what that boy's up to this time.

'The what of who?' Lydia asks. 'The beat of Gevaudan. Listen. "A quadruped wolf-life monster, prowling the Auvergne and South Dordogne areas of France during the year 1764 to 1767. La Bête killed over 100 people, becoming so infamous that the King Louis XV sent one of his best hunters to try and kill it".' 'Boring.' Lydia says and I shove her slightly, '"Even the church eventually declared the mister a messenger of Satan."'

'Hmm. Still boring.' I roll my eyes, 'I've heard of this thing before, I swear.' I tell Allison as she continues. '"Cryptozoologists believe it may have been a subspecies of a hoofed predator, possibly a mesonychild."' 'Slipping-into-a-coma bored.' '"While others believe it was a powerful sorcerer who could shape-shift into a man-eating monster."'

'Any of this have anything to do with your family?' Lydia asks her. 'This. "It is believed that La Bête was finally trapped and killed by a renown hunter who claimed his wife and four children were the first to fall prey to the creature. His name was Argent."' 'Your ancestors killed a big wolf. So what?' 'Not just a big wolf. Take a look at this picture. What does it look like to you?' Fuck. I can see it on Lydia's face, she knows it's what she saw that night.