2: Backstory

"N-Nathalie? Are you awake?" Gabriel mumbled.

"Nope. I'm sleeping."

"Oh, okay. Wait a damn minute- I need to ask you something.."

"What is it, dear?"

"Well, you have never really told me about your past. And since we both can't seem to sleep, I was wondering if you could tell me about it."

"Gabriel, it's 3 in the morning."

"Please?"

"Alright. I guess I should start from the begining. So, I lived in an apartment about 5 minutes away from the Dupain-Cheng bakery with my brother and our parents. We lived a comfortable life and I took martial alongside my brother. On my 10'th birthday, we were driving to my family birthday party, when-"

Flashback

"MOM! WATCH OUT!" young Nathalie cried out, seeing a car driving on the wrong side of the road, quickly approaching them.

Before her mother had time to react, the car hit them. A spectator quickly called an ambulance.

End of flashback.

"A car driving on the wrong side of the road hit us." She felt tears forming in her eyes.

"My parents died on the way to the hospital."

"Wh-what about you..?"

"My brother and I got out with a small fracture in our arms and leg. Nothing to serious. After we were released from the hospital, our grandmother took care of us. Three months later, she had a heart attack and died.

We were devastated and stopped going to school for a while. After 2 months, we slowly started going back to school. A few years later, I graduated and went to Francois DuPont highschool. That's where I met..Emilie." Nathalie hesitated to say Emilie's name, fearing that Gabriel would get upset at her.

"We became really close, and she started paying me to manage her schedule. She actually paid decently and it wasn't hard work. Then she introduced me to Sabine. A week or so later, My brother and I then realized that we were getting real short on money, so he got a job working as a cashier for the local farmers market. We both made around the same, but it still wasn't enough to pay the bills. One day, I got home from school and saw a note on my bed. It read:

Dearest Nathalie,

The stress of managing you, and the bills has become to much. I'm sorry for leaving like this, especially without saying goodbye. This card has 500 euros left on it. Use them wisely. I'm off for college, please don't try and find me. I truly am sorry, I hope you can forgive me. Love ya, lil sis.
Your dearest brother.

Nathalie then grabbed her phone, took off the case and pulled out a little sticky note. She handed it to Gabriel and he quickly read it over.

"Oh Nath, I'm sorry." He said, handing back the piece of paper.

"Don't be. It's helped me get to where I am today, and I wouldn't change that for anything. Anyway, I didn't know what to do. I had lost almost everything, my mother, my father, my grandmother and now my brother. Also, at this point, I got a second job to help me get by.

I took a week of work and school to take some time to recover. That week passed quickly and I started going back to school and working both of my jobs. Soon we all graduated. It was the best day of my life at that time.

Then Emilie went off to college, Sabine and I stayed back, but became distant.

Once you and her came back to Paris, I became your personal assistant, and then you went on an internship to America for a year, so I decided to use that time to catch up with Sabine.