The Proposal

"What?" The words echo in my head.

"Are you insane?"

"Hear me out." He says carefully. "I was thinking. I was thinking about you and me and everything. And then it hit me- I want to marry you."

"Edward, I want you to think about this." I tell him cautiously. "You're asking me, the 18 year old.. to marry you."

"I am. And I think it's a great idea, I think we can make it work. I want something concrete between us."

"Edward. I need you to think about how fast you're moving right now. And besides, that's a lot of commitment, and you know the pack complicates things. There are so many objections, so many complication-"

Edward leans in and presses his lips to mine. My God. He smells so good. Edward pulls away, chuckling, and I realize that he can read my thoughts.

"If you think that changed anything, you're wrong." I tell him sternly.

"But I thought I smelled good!"

"No." I tell him, and he stares at me for a moment.

"Well if you won't marry me.. yet.. then will you.. would you care to.. go on a date with me?"

"Aren't we a little far gone for dates, Edward?"

Edward flops his hands down on the bed like a toddler.

"Then what do you want me to do?"

"I want you to let me sleep on it." I tell him, starting to fall asleep again.

"Okay. I'll come see you tommrow-"

"No.." Stupid half-asleep me tells him.

"No?" He echos, sounding dejected.

"No, stupid, I mean don't leave. I'm tired. Stay with me for.. for 5 more minutes." Edward smiles down at me, and I close my eyes.

He lays next to me, his ice cold hands just barely running through my hair.

"So no marriage?" Edward asks quietly.

"Nope. No marriage." I tell him, and soon I'm in the darkness of sleep again.

●●●

"Y/N! Y/N, wake up, Jacob's here!" Bella bangs on my door, resulting in me shooting up from my bed and looking around frantically.

"Um.. tell him.. I'll be out in a minute!" I shout beach, and I hear Bella murmuring on the other side of the door.

Edward's gone, but surely my bed.. and I will smell like vampire. Sugary-sweet.

I rush to put on an outfit, only to find one already laid out for me. It comes with a note:

I'm not sure if you've heard of them yet, but there is a Coven up in Denali. They have their own sorcerer and Alice asked them to make this for you- the fabric is strong, protecting for when no one else can. Protection from enchantments, physical strikes, or whatever. Wear it :)
- Edward M. Cullen

It was sweet that he was doing this- and to be honest the sweater was stylish enough and I could style it well.