33: A Gift

"And that's pretty much how I met Lady Otsune." Ubuyashiki-sama explained.

"That was a beautiful story, Oyakata-sama," Gyomei, the Stone Hashira, said with tears streaming down his face. His voice choked with emotion as he expressed his sympathy for the touching tale that had moved him so deeply.

"Yeah, it's good to know how much Lady Fukasawa genuinely cared for you. The way she went out of her way to return you home was truly heartwarming." Mitsuri remarked with a warm smile on her face.

"I never would've thought how close you were to my Obachan." You say.

Ubuyashiki nodded, "yes, she's a very good friend and it's so good to know that she's doing well! It's rare to find such genuine kindness in people these days, and I am truly thankful to have met her." He smiled.

"With that being said, I feel like I know you on a more personal level, Miss (Name). It's an absolute honor to have met you, and I wish both you and Rengoku a happy engagement and even a happier marriage!"

Ubuyashiki's remark made you red in the face as you curled a finger through your hair bashfully. The unexpected compliment caused a shy smile to graze across your lips as you felt a mixture of embarrassment and gratitude. You're grateful to have met him as well, even more so knowing you and him actually have something (or in this case, someone) in common.

"Oh, that remains me! Oyakata-sama, could I ask you something?" Kyōjurō suddenly asked.

"Hm? What is it, Rengoku-san?"

"While in Kazahana, Lady Otsune gave me a small red candy called "akachoko." Otherwise known as "red chocolate," and I was wondering, do you know anything about it?" Kyōjurō asks.

"Akachoko?" Ubuyashiki's blind gaze narrowed slightly as he pondered for a moment.

"Yes, matter of fact, I do," he replies with a slight nod. "It was a product that was commonly used during my father's time as the 96th leader. It was specifically created for the Demon Slayer Corps to combat the relentless demons." He explains.

"However, it was later banned because many demon slayers had lost their lives because of its effects."

"Oh? What kind of effects?" Shinobu, the insect Hashira, asked, intrigued.

"If you eat the akachoko, you'll temporarily attract demons from a 10 meter radius! Lady Otsune said it's because the akachoko is made from a rare type of fruit called, "Shuketsu kudamono" also known as the 'Ningen no kokoro'!" Kyōjurō says.

"Shuketsu kudamono? Sounds interesting." Shinobu says, her curiosity piqued.

"Disgusting. A fruit called the human heart sounds gross. It isn't flamboyant." Replied Uzui as he wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"Hmph, nothing's ever flamboyant enough for you." Sanemi remarks.

"Why is it called that anyway?" Muichirou inquired.

"It's because it's shaped like a human heart and has a red substance that looks like human blood and tastes like iron!" Kyōjurō explains.

"Ok, sorry I'd ask." The Mist Hashira diverted his deadpan gaze to the floor. 'What an unfortunate day the have hearing,' he inwardly thinks to himself.