broken hearts

TIME FOR MORE ANGST MOHAHAHA
————

The waiting room is filled with nervous energy and anticipation. It's fairly quiet but the air is thick with tension, or maybe it's just the buzz from the fluorescent lights.

Everyone in the room is there for the same reason, to see their loved ones, hopefully not for the last time. Only a few people are talking quietly with each other.

From time to time a doctor or a nurse comes in to take someone to see whoever they're waiting for. Slowly but surely the room becomes less and less crowded, not a lot of people awake at this hour.

Hizashi bounced his foot up and down from anticipation. The waiting room chair was uncomfortable and he couldn't push away the nagging feeling in his chest. Sitting here and waiting like this was torture, not knowing whether or not Shouta would be okay.

The clock was ticking towards 2:30 AM, but to Hizashi it felt like the time was going by agonisingly slow. He'd been at the hospital for almost two hours now and all he could do was to sit in a stupid plastic chair and wait.

Hizashi had gotten the phone call sometime past midnight. A hospital worker had called and told him his husband had been in a horrible car accident and that he had been admitted to the hospital. It had felt like time had stopped and all Hizashi could do was croak out a "what?". The hospital worker had been understanding and had told him all they knew: Shouta had been in a car accident on his way home from work. They had found his ID to identify him and Hizashi was listed as his emergency contact.

Everything that happened after the call seemed like a daze. Hizashi hadd called Midnight to ask her to watch Eri, quickly explaining the situation to her before he drove to the hospital. When he arrived, a nurse had told him Shouta had been rushed to have emergency surgery.

Hizashi had broken down in one of the chairs in the waiting room, all his built up emotions spilling out of him. He'd told himself that Shouta would be fine when he arrived at the hospital and that none of this had actually happened. He had silently prayed that Shouta had just been mildly hurt, maybe just broken an arm. However, arriving at the hospital had made it all so much more real. Shouta was critically hurt and he may not make it, and all Hizashi could do was sit and wait.

Shouta had told him once that he hated feeling helpless and not being able to do anything. Hizashi guessed it was because of what had happened to Oboro all those years ago. Shouta had been forced to just watch him die from the sideline as the paramedics did everything they could but to no avail. That day, Shouta had sworn he would never feel so helpless again.

Hizashi had been unconscious when Oboro died but he imagined this was somewhat like what Shouta had been feeling back then. Hizashi had never felt this useless before. It was like doing anything other that just sitting here would be better, but at the same time he couldn't leave in case he got un update on his husband.

The clock slowly ticked by one second at the time. It felt like a little piece of Hizashi's heart was chipped away for each second that passed without knowing how his husband was doing, hell, if he was still even alive. And all he could so was sit and wait.

Another two hours passed before his name was finally called.

"Mr. Yamada?" a nurse asked, and Hizashi shot up from the chair he was sitting on as if it was made of fire. "You can see you husband now".

It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off his chest. If he could see Shouta, that mean he was okay, right? Or else the nurse would've said something, wouldn't they? Shouta had to be okay, he had to.

As they walked through the hospital halls, the nurse explained what they'd done with Shouta. His husband had needed emergency surgery, and the doctors had tried their best to stop his internal bleeding.