Chapter 16

I turned around to find Gene looking at the two of us intensely. I couldn't even make out the expression on his face between curious, pissed or strained, it was just all complex.

"Darnell, this is Gene... um, Gene this is Darnell... and none of you are my boyfriend... just getting that out of the way."

"Mhmm.."

"Because that was going to come out of your mouth eventually D. He's a friend...? And also new to the school, so practically I have to help him out, unfortunately."

"What year are you in my man? Freshman?" Darnell sat in one of the chairs, keeping his gaze on Gene.

Gene didn't answer for a long time and I started to sweat. Normally Darnell doesn't like it when no one answers his questions, even teachers.

It would turn into a big problem when they didn't, due to his anger issues. Sometimes he would've even been sent straight to the office for attacking a teacher.

Luckily, Mister Morris decided not to press charges.

"I asked you a question."
But I didn't understand why Gene was behaving this way towards Nell. At school, he's cool with everyone.

"Do I look like I'm in freshman?" He tsked before asking.

"Woah! I'm only asking a question and trying to make conversation, no need to be hostile." Darnell raised his hands in defeat.
"I know some people have trouble socializing and you look like that type, so I was going to make it easier for you."

Gene without saying a word, took a sip from his drink, unfazed.

"Uh.. heh heh, he's a Junior." I giggled nervously.

"Oh okay."

"Well uh.." Me taking matters into my own hands and removing the attention away from the grumpy Daniels. "How comes you are out here? Like so far away from your school and stuff."

Darnell took one last up-and-down look at Gene clearly unimpressed before turning all of his attention to me.

"I came by to get something to eat and chill. I was also thinking about coming to visit the gang. It's been soo long."

"The gang??"

"You know... Hope, Fanta, Moonie, Ron, Drewski, Paulie and the other one, I forgot his name but he's real quiet... like him." He gestured towards Gene who just refused to look at us or even engage in the conversation.

"I think his name is Tye."

"Yeah! How is everyone by the way?"

"Um... Good! Really good.."

"You and Hope are still friends I believe?"
I nod my head slowly.
"God you two were inseparable, still are."

I blushed and hid my face from him as he chuckled.

"Excuse me," Gene said before moving away from the both of us. I didn't even get to ask where he was going for he moved very swiftly.

He better not be leaving me. Especially since he's the one who dragged me on this date in the first place. He would be very wrong to leave me stranded here just because he's moody.

Darnell and I continued chatting away, exchanging numbers and all. (He gave me his first)

"Well, it was nice catching up and seeing you again but I have to go, by the way- You look absolutely stunning... I forgot how well you can put yourself together." He came closer to my ear. "Tell your big friend I said later."

I waved him away clearly peeing my skin. I can just imagine how soaked my underwear is by the time I get home.

I searched around for Gene with my eyes but he hasn't gotten back as yet which worried me way more.

"Are you done?"

I jumped to look around and see the waitress from earlier standing there with her tray, not looking too happy.

I am disappointed because I was hoping it was Gene.

"Um.. yes, thank you." I helped by handing her the plates before waiting patiently for him again.

It was only after five minutes I saw Gene walk back into the restaurant buckling his pants.

"Hey! Where did you go...?"

"Fresh air." He said without paying me any mind.

"Why-"

"You ready to leave?" He gathered his items and headed straight for the cashier without waiting for my response.

I quickly gathered mine as well and rushed behind him. Why was he acting like this? Especially to me...

We stood in line as a couple was ahead of us, obviously paying.

"What's wrong are you okay??"
He didn't respond, continuing to check his wallet and rounding up how much the meal was going to be, so I didn't bother to ask again.
"I thought you left me, here... by myself. I was concerned you weren't going to come back and get me but not because you were paying but because we had such a good time and I would hate to see you-"

He looked down at me, the traditional side eye making me zip my mouth shut as we stared at each other for a while. It looked like he wanted to say something but he was clearly still processing and putting his thoughts together.

Then it was our turn in line.

"Hi! Your total is $13.54."

Gene grunted as he dug around in his wallet for the change.

"You don't have to pay or do all of this for me, really."

"Then how are you going to pay for the meal? You left your purse at home."
Realization hit me on that fact as I tried to get him to look at me even longer.

Stop ignoring me... feel me, like you normally would, um.. boy-man.
My thoughts were getting out of hand.

"Here."

"Hold a second." The cashier said as she went into the back. Gene and I stood there for quite some time in silence.

I found it strange that she had gone in the back for extra change when the cash register is legit in front of her... if that was the case.

A whole other girl peaked her head out from the back doors and made her way shyly towards us with the cashier right behind her smiling boldly.

"Hiiii... Gene!" She perked herself up more as if the words were forced out of her. Gene glanced upwards with a raised brow and unsettled face.
"You may not recognize me at first, but.." She pulled her light brown hair to the right revealing a huge burn from her cheek sliding down to a bit of her neck. Her pale blue eyes complimenting her other features shimmered with excitement as she bit her bottom lip removing her stained apron, and chucking it on the counter.

Gene's eyes widen in surprise.
"Tammy!!" He smiled at her, almost hopping over the counter to hug her. I looked behind us to see if anyone was there needing to cash out as well, unfortunately...
No.
"It's soo good to see you, it's been so long."

She giggled, blushing slightly. "Yeah... I missed seeing you around here, your energy was just always so vibrant and welcoming."

"Ha! Good to know."

I was getting impatient. Not only because of that but this girl is straight up flirting with Gene right in my face like I'm not there too but, it's not that I care or anything... but jeez, do it in your free time... when I'm not around or something...

I rolled my eyes quietly and searched around absorbing the details of the establishment but, soon as I went to go and inform Gene I wanted to go, I caught the cashier staring at me intently. She narrowed her eyes, scrunching her face in disgust at me as she realized I attempted to interrupt their conversation.

I flinched and moved two inches away from him immediately. The girl scoffed and turned her attention away back on them. I refused to make eye contact with anyone for the rest of the time I was in there.