Chapter 11

Lunch came early today, I'm not sure what the reason was for but I finally decided to sit with the other kids inside instead of going off somewhere by myself like always. Besides, I had plans today.

"Whatcha staring at so hard?" Down came a Hope who sat on the left side of me. I kept quiet not saying a word. Hope looked over in the direction where I was looking.

"Nothing!" I said looking away quickly hoping she hadn't caught on while stuffing a good fork full of shepherds pie into my mouth. I closed my eyes drowning out everything to focus on my thoughts.

"Are you sure? So you weren't just staring at Gene?"
I nearly choked. Some water would do.

"What are you talking about?" I sipped.

"I mean, you are not sitting that far from him. Like... you're in a perfect position to look at him many times without him even noticing. Your chances of him seeing you admiring his beauty is 4 out of 10."

I swear I was much farther than that.
I thought.
"It's a shame that name has to be brought up!" I exaggerated clearly trying to stop the conversation from where it was heading. I wasn't in the mood to be arguing over this topic.

"Mhm," She raised an eyebrow while looking up and down at me dramatically. "You can probably even take pictures of him secretly. The only problem that would be in your way is the girl."
I was in complete shock and disbelief because she was talking very calmly which meant she was serious about it.
"Ooohh!! I just love it! What are we doing next?" She started getting too excited.

"Woah!! Woah! Woah! Woah!... Woah! We aren't doing anything, furthermore... I'm not even studying Gene or Bella... I'm just chilling. You do you and I will do me."

"You are no fun." She said sipping on her juice box that she pulled out of the bag with her head down.

I watched her play around with the straw before looking up in his direction and our eyes met. My body jumped but I kept my face still because I was not expecting him to see me. Then I remembered what Hope said not too long ago and wanted to kick myself in the face.

He continued looking at me while I watched him. Everyone around the table was too busy yelling and jumping around to even realize he wasn't a part of the conversation anymore but to my surprise, he never looked away from me. Not.. once.

I, like an idiot, stared back at him as I watched him search all around me. I started to feel my face flush.

"Excuse me," I said to Hope scrambling all of my items and leaving the area. Some heads turned in my direction and I started to feel embarrassed.

"Where are you going? Did I do something?"

~~~~~~

I sat in chemistry looking out the window, school is about to end in a few hours and then I can finally go home. My attention was brought upon these two strange dove birds sitting on a wall far away from each other without saying anything. One was white and the other was a brown color with dark spots.

I found the behaviour quite odd for the birds. There were not even playing or hopping about on the wall, just sitting, quietly. I watched them for a while until I heard my name.

"Ms. Jacobs!"
I looked around the class to see everyone staring in my direction. I glanced at my teacher who jabbed her pen towards the doorway where the secretary stood.
"The principal would like to see you immediately." She walked off.

Silence filled the class as I was now the center of attention again. I packed up grabbing everything off the desk making my way down the halls.

Questions ran through my mind about what the matter could be. I'm a good student.. what trouble could I possibly be in? Soon enough I ended up reaching the office quicker than I had expected.