Chapter 21

While he focused on working diligently on the math, I looked at the other books he had brought with him. Social studies and an English textbook.

"They make you use English textbooks in Junior year?"

"Mm?" He looks up from his work, in questioning. He then proceeds to look between me and the book before responding. "Um... I am not sure if all teachers let the students use the textbooks but for sure ours do."

"Who is your teacher?"

"Some dude name Mr. Vietnam."

"Is he Vietnamese?"

"No. Racist."

"Gene!"

"He's white, sorry. I shouldn't be kidding around like that but he's weird. He comes into class every day, says his name every time with emphasis and then just walks around and talks ever so posh. It's sickening."

"Maybe there's a reason why he acts like that-"

"Nope. Just him." He responded seriously. "Some of my classes are made up of humanities, psychology and physiology. Trust me... I would know."

"Alright, Mr. I-would-know get back to studying."

I decided to pick up his social studies textbook and have a nice look through of what I am dealing with.

"When I have to work out three terms instead of two, what is it supposed to be?"

I looked over his shoulder at the question.

"You basically work out the solution the same way as if it were two but just working with an additional number... for example, (4x² - 3x + 5) + (9x² - 6x - 2)-"

"The way how you try to work things out in your head alone... is just amazing."

Ignoring his comment, I continued what I was trying to say.
"You add the four and the nine to get thirteen so the first thing you will write is 13x². Next is your negative three and six, now remember even though they are negatives, keep in mind of the addition sign and that you are supposed to be adding these... so your equation will look like this -3x + -6x. People will phrase it in this way -3x - 6x, why? Because we all know two negatives make a positive and one positive with one negative just makes it a negative." I explained all of this to him by just looking at the book.

Even though he can read the text and simply follow their guidelines, this is my lesson. So I will explain it how I want.

"This will give you -9x so add it to your 13x² to make 13x² - 9x. However we are not done, we have a 5 and -2 left. Again, we solve it like we did previously and should get 3. So your answer should equal to 13x² - 9x + 3."
He made sure to copy down what I said which I assume is his example for later use.
"Now if there was a subtraction sign instead of an addition, how would you work it? Let's see if you have been paying attention."

"Umm..." He started as he tried to finish writing quickly. He then placed down his pencil before looking at the question. "To summarise it..."
He took long in figuring out his answer and I couldn't blame him. You need to think and analyze your problem and how to solve it carefully if not, it can mess you up.. pretty bad.

Speaking from experience.

"I think it is -5x² -3x + 7."

"Incorrect."

"How?"

"You take four and subtract it from nine, nine minus four is five yes? So is the same for four minus nine but instead of a positive five or just a normal five, it doesn't matter if you have a negative five instead. So you were correct especially since you put back in your variables. The five at the end of the equation had to subtract the two when you had to add them but instead, you added them to make seven because again two negatives, make a positive however... your -3x is wrong. You were supposed to take -3x and subtract it from -6x. Which would leave you with 3x."

"Oh... I see.... so why did you say I was wrong?"

"Cause you were."

"There was one mistake...?"

"There's no room for mistakes in my class. So... either you take and endure it or leave."

"Hmm." He responded giving me a very narrow look.

"Next question. Division... but with three variables. Now you have... four thousand, eight hundred and eighty-four x¹²t⁶z¹⁰ divided by two hundred and twenty-two x⁸t⁷z¹⁰. Your answer will be 22x⁴t‐¹. The same would go as if they were two. Right, multiplication-"

"Okay wait! So I can write it down."

I gave him about ten minutes before moving on.
"You remembered what I told you when you are multiplying your terms?"

"You add."

"What is it that you are adding? The variables?"

"Those tiny small numbers."

"Good. Your exponents. So you have a case... (20x⁴) (10x⁷). Now, when you have brackets side by side with no sign, it means you have to multiply. So you would solve this by multiplying twenty by ten which gives you two hundred, this will make it 200x but we are not done, how would you solve our exponents?"

"By adding."

"So?"

"Um.. 4 plus 7 is 11. So it will become 200x¹¹."

"Mm. The last one that we are going to go through is (x⁶)⁸. In this case, we are multiplying the exponents so figure it out and tell me."

"Six by eight is forty-eight." I could hear him talking to himself, his voice almost a whisper as he calculated it on his own before looking towards me, telling me the answer. "x⁴⁸."

"Nice you're getting the hang of it. You will be a pro in no time."
He smiled shortly.
"Now work on some more, while I read a bit of your social studies book so I can get a glimpse of what's going on."

He worked diligently while I read and then after notifying me he was done, we went straight into studying. Even though I don't have a clue nor am I interested in the sector of Social Studies, I grasped the knowledge of the topic pretty quickly and was able to help him with the various topics he couldn't remember.

I even did a short quiz of what we went through just to make sure he remembers clearly... which failed, but there will be more chances to correct those little errors he's facing.

A phone rings.

He checked and it was his.

"Yeah, mum?"
I tried my best not to listen in on his conversation but I couldn't help it.
"No, I am not done... yes, I know... I will make it in time mum, stop fretting." After some time he sighs, rolling his eyes frustratedly. "O-Okay... Okay!! Let me pack up.. I'll be there."

He ended the call even though you could still hear the person talking on the other end.

"You good?"

"Yeah.. my mum just wants me to help her make dinner."

"So you have to leave now?"

"Not now.. but soon."

"But.. you said you were leaving now."

"No, I didn't. I said I will pack up and be there but I never said when."

"It's still the same thing."

"Not really, but anyway..  she can wait for a bit."

"You are going to let your mom wait?"

"Yeah. It's no big deal, besides she disturbed my plans not the other way around."

"Okay.. well let's finish up here, so you can leave."