⇒ FOUR

Reid||

Reid||

Cooking dinner and eating alone was the worse. I was always so used to Anastasia being here that I never had to feel alone. No matter what I did or where I went, she was behind me. It got a bit depressing as I sat on my couch, feeling like a old man, eating my chicken and rice. I would love to have someone cook for me.

I can almost feel a life where I come home to my wife. She'd have dinner done for me because she understands how hard my job is. Dinner would be delicious, and then we'd talk afterwards. We'd talk about whatever she wanted to talk about, taking turns and actually listening. We'd have a talk about the life we have ahead of us. Kids, maybe work, and some other stuff that married couples talk about. I'm not rushing into marriage though, it's just good to think about it.

I rolled my eyes as I watched the same episode of friends I had seen last week. "They're playing this again. Fucking hell" I mumbled. I grabbed the remote and switched to something different.

I soon sighed, looking around and feeling empty. Nothing to do. I can actually relax. It feels wrong to do this. I should be doing something, whether it's cleaning, or just making sure Anastasia is okay- I forgot, she's not here.

I was so bored out of my mind that I just decided to go to sleep. I woke up the next morning, feeling a bit bummed. It didn't feel right. No matter how much I hated Anastasia for treating me like shit, I missed her, or her presence for that matter.

I got ready in less than thirty minutes. I showered, put my work suit on, sprayed cologne, made sure my facial hair wasn't too much, and drove to get gas before entering the building and seeing her.

Aurelia stood there, her small frame in front of the tall man that she called her uncle. It was rare, but I'd catch her do it. She said that she didn't want anyone to treat her different if they found out that she was the niece, so she didn't really tell anyone. I knew though.

She had a folder in her hand, both her hands in front of her as she looked up at him. She looked like a child that was being scolded. Her small pout made me want to know what was going on.

Looking down, I noticed her very shiny work stockings. She always had beautiful shiny stockings. I wonder if she'd reuse them, or buy new pairs. They looked too shiny to be worn before. She didn't wear any yesterday, substituting it for some pants. I don't blame her though, it was cold as shit.

Her feet sat well in her work heels, making her appear taller than she really was. I stood there watching the whole interaction through the glass window that let Mr. Craine have no privacy in his office. Only if he'd let the blinds down.

The moment Aurelia turned around, I started to walk towards my cubicle. I knew I'd see her eventually, I just didn't want to seem weird for watching. I made it to my spot and started down, starting to fiddle with my laptop bag. Aurelia came to sit down, letting out a big sigh.

I stood up and looked over the wall, seeing her with her head down. "Aurelia?" I said softly.

"Leave me alone to die, Reid. I'm the worse" she mumbled.

"Umm no. Listen, you don't have to tell me what's wrong, just hear me out" I said, resulting in her lifting her head to look at me. "We usually go on break around the same time. Let me take you some place quick to eat. Hopefully that'll cheer you up".

She looked at me weirdly before standing up. She came closer to the wall and brought her hand up, gently touching my face. "What's happened to you? Your face is all purple" she asked.

I closed my eyes for a slight second, mentally cursing myself for forgetting to wear the sunglasses. They helped to keep people out of my business. I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me.

"Just forget it" I said, soon sitting back down. I could feel her presence still by the wall, but I dared to look at her.

Her seeing my bruise will mean I'll have to explain shit that I don't want to explain. I am not a fragile man, I don't need pity from anyone, especially from someone as soft as Aurelia. I once saw her bring someone as big gift basket because they said their cat died. Their cat was very old and they knew it was going to die anyways, yet she still did it out of the kindness out of her heart.

Aurelia||

The end of work came around and I found myself inside of the lounge room. I was headed to get my daily donut. I liked to get these at the end of work, gifting myself for working so hard. I grabbed a napkin before getting a glazed donut. I suddenly felt someone on the side of me, reaching for a donut with sprinkles.

Yuck. Who likes sprinkles? They taste dry.

I looked up to see none other than Reid. He gave me a small smile before biting the donut. I turned around and proceeded fo walk towards the exit, receiving a groan from him.

"Look, Aurelia. I'm sorry about earlier. My ex girlfriend is abusive. She did this to me, and I get anxious when people bring it up. I didn't mean to talk to you that way. I just- it's embarrassing to talk about so I didn't want to say anything. Let's just forget about that small encounter, please?" He said.

I knew that girlfriend of his was no good, well ex girlfriend. I always thought the little scratches on his face and body were from a cat, but seeing the bigger bruises make me realize that it was her all along.

I turned around to him, seeing that he had already eaten half of the donut. "Well you could have just said that, Reid. I don't push people. If I see that something makes you uncomfortable I'll let it go. I'm sorry to invade, I'll never ask again, promise" I nodded.

He walked up to me, shaking his head. "No, Aurelia. You can ask questions, I was just in a bad mood. I don't mean to be that way. Can I make it up to you?"

I giggled to myself, already knowing what I wanted. It was near Christmas time as I wanted to do something that would put us in the spirit. "Well can you ask Mr. Craine to let us do secret Santa?"

He nodded, soon smiling. "Will do Ms. Bianchi."

❀❀❀

Reid||

Mr. Craine surprisingly thought that secret Santa would be a great idea. He agreed that it would make things of the Christmas spirit, and that we'd pick names tomorrow.

I had just gotten home from work, feeling a bit exhausted and bored. Again, nothing to do. It was so boring here. My phone started to ring, so I picked it up. Anastasia

"Hello" I answered, receiving and groan from her.

"I miss you, Reid. I promise I'll do better. I'll cook, and I won't mess up your shit. I can't go home to my parents, they'll put me back in school. Please Reid. I'll be the best girlfriend. It could be like old times"