─20.

Hyunjin's whole body froze, seeing the last person he wanted to, he was furious. More than he should've been.

He told himself to calm down. That man was not his father. He disowned him. He was probably here for some other reason, Hyunjin tried to convince himself. But what other reason?

"Hyunjin..."

It took him everything to say the name, not cause he hated saying it but cause he felt like he didn't deserve to say it. And he really didn't.

"What the fuck?" 

Usually he would have been scolded, not for cursing but for cursing at his father. Right now that man wasn't his father. The way he said his name, made Hyunjin think he was actually here for him and not for any other reason like he previously tried to convince himself.

Hyunseok didn't know what to say, what would you say talking to your son who you realized you've been treating wrong for years just tried to commit suicide a few days ago? 'Oh hey I'm sorry for disowning you and mentally abusing you let's go back to the way things were before'? He did come to him with the intention of apologizing but how the hell to even start?

"The fuck... The fuck are you doing here?..."

The unsteadiness on his voice and respiration was clear. The gates were almost empty now, and if Hyunjin guessed right it would be about 3 pm. "Hyunjin, we can go home and talk, let's not cause a scene here-"

"Home?" 

If his father usually said that, it would intimidate Hyunjin. Father's words are orders. But this was not his father, was it? Why did he even care if he caused a scene, he didn't care about all the things Hyunjin had done in his school before?

"Please just listen to me." Laughter rose from Hyunjin's chest, bubbling past his pink lips . He stopped for a moment before breathing out as his usually soft eyes narrowed and glared at the man in front of him. "Why now, after all this time?"

He did wonder why. Hyunseok kicked him out, disowned him, and blamed him for his mother's death which led to him believing it was actually true. There was no reason for him to return and apologize now. "I don't want your apologies."

"I just wanna talk."

So it wasn't an apology? Surprising. If it wasn't that, it must be a hell of an explanation which led up to the same topic again. He didn't wanna hear it, he would've been happy with Seungmin if his dumbass didn't snap at him for no apparent reason and if he wasn't more than just a burden to him.

"Fine." Hyunjin chuckled yet again, this time a bit softer.  "I'll talk to you."

--

Hyunjin didn't know why he agreed, he was beyond the point of acceptance right now but its not like he could go back to Seungmin's. Not because Seungmin didn't want him to. Seungmin was more than happy to welcome him but he felt bad for getting mad at him. Plus he was tired of feeling like a burden.

The ride was quiet. He didn't remember the last time he was in the car with his father, usually he would walk or the chauffeur would drive him home. But this time his father was the one driving, with him on the backseat, a blank expression plastered on his face. Even if he ever was in the car with him it would be filled with deadly silence just like this.

He only looked out the window not sparing a single glance to the other man, but he could feel eyes continuously gazing at him every now and then. He understood the man wanted to talk to him but was too hesitant to do so. 

What was he even gonna do after this? Hyunseok said he wanted to talk, but it was obvious Hyunjin wouldn't. The 10 minute car ride felt like 10 years the reason being his boredom and empty mind. The moment they reached the mansion Hyunjin had wished to never see again, he got out without saying a word and heard the other catch up quickly.

"Hyunjin-"

Hyunjin didn't cut him off this time. His own broken voice did. 

A sorry doesn't fix everything, it never did. There wasn't a way to fix it but all of those years Hyunjin spent trying to be a better person for him, the closest thing to "fixing" that he could do was try to be a better person for Hyunjin.

"I appreciate it if you let me live in here and grant me shelter."

Hyunseok would've wondered how Hyunjin's voice changed so much in the span of a few days if it was the right time to think about that. He chased after the boy who didn't bother looking back as he walked up the stairs to the gate.

"I'm sorry."

It took him everything to say it. Despite looking down from shame, he could hear the footsteps stop which made him guess that Hyunjin stopped. But he didn't hear his voice, not until 10 seconds went by.

"Really?" 

Yes, really. It was a serious moment, then why could hear the younger giggling? Has he finally gone insane? mad? "Now you're sorry?"

"After all this time, ignoring me, putting the guilt of killing my mother on my shoulders. You didn't bother to stop me from becoming a monster, messing with everyone at school especially Seungmin. And I know the exact reason why you didn't, cause I'm just like you, aren't I?"

The words made him take a sharp whisper-like intake of breath that Hyunjin noticed. The smirk was still plastered on his face. "I've seen, the way you beat up your subordinates. I've heard, the way you say its the best way to make someone learn a lesson. That's exactly what you're gonna say to me, aren't you? That you did all of it cause you want the best for me?"

He continued his lecture, and the older man could do nothing but listen. "I've always had a feeling you blamed mom's death on me but never said it so that I don't feel bad. But that day you rubbed it in my face." He laughed. "I don't blame you. I was the one who killed the love of your life anyways. But I hope you know she was my mom too." 

How long has he been blaming himself? Ironic being wondered by the person who made him blame himself. He was right, the thought of a child growing up without his mother and neglected by the only parent he had only made the guilt worse.

"And now, now that I tried to kill myself, now you care."

He saw Hyunseok visibly flinch by the word kill. He walked away, the annoyance rising when he heard the other follow behind. Why can't this man just leave me alone?

A sharp breath went past his pink lips before he twisted the doorknob of his room, somewhere he never planned or wanted to come back to, the man still hesitantly following behind him.

"You're late, father."

The word came out so naturally. He planned on never saying it again, not to him. But when he did, he didn't flinch, he didn't stutter after. The door opened, showing him a sight he loathed.

"I remember the promise."

Hyunjin let out a sudden gasp, halfway to shutting the door. But it wasn't s matter of seconds before his expression went back to the usual. "Good for you."

"There's no point of remembering a promise that you've already broken."

.

.

.

right.

A/N: 

Thanks so much for reading :o sorry for the late update qwq 

ALSO i published mi new seungjin book "SCARS" and if u would like u could read dat cuz i feel like its way more well written and planned but im not forcing ofc its just a rec!

cuz for this book it has a dumb plot and i just wanted to write something so i did hshaahs anyways everyone stay safe and take careee <33