Eight.

Harry continues to place the cookie dough on the tray as his mom sings quietly to the radio. He'd never mention that she sounds like a dying cat when she sings and instead, just chooses to smile. It's a lazy Sunday and Anne asked to spend the afternoon with him. Harry just couldn't say no because he missed talking to his mom.

"So, how's everything with you?" Anne asks and Harry looks over to her to see her smiling sweetly. Harry loves his moms smile because it's safe.

"Alright. I've been better and I've been worse," Harry tells her and she nods in understanding. They remain in silence for awhile until Harry finally opens his mouth.

"And you? How are you?" Harry asks and Anne just hums as she grabs some cookie dough and places it in her mouth.

"I'm doing good. I just worry about you," she tells him. Harry just leaves the tray and hugs hers. She holds him tight and squeezes his thin waist.

"I'm doing good. Don't worry about me," Harry tells her and she laughs.

"You're my baby, I can't help but worry. You'd let me know if there was something wrong right?" She questions and Harry nods.

"You'd be the first to know. Actually, maybe second. Zayn would probably know first," Harry says and Anne laughs and pulls away.

"As long as someone knows. Tell Zayn we're having a barbecue Saturday. His mom is welcome to come too," she changes the subject and Harry just grabs the tray and puts it in the oven.

"I'll be sure to tell him."

•••

"You actually made these?" Louis asks as he shoves the rest of his cookie in his mouth. Harry moves forward to move the crumbs from his face and nods his head. Louis hasn't started painting yet tonight and instead is just sitting against a blank wall across from Harry.

"I did. Me and my mom," Harry explains softly and Louis smiles as he swallows the cookie and reaches for another one.

"I wish me and my mom could do that. We're both shit at doing anything in the kitchen," Louis laughs. Harry smiles because Louis is opening up more. He never talks about his family or friends.

"Who cooks in your house then?"

"My dad. He's a chef so it makes sense," Louis says as he continues to nibble on his treat.

"What's your mom do?" Harry asks curiously and Louis smiles.

"She's an artist. She's the one that got me into art," Louis says in a hushed tone. Harry can picture a little Louis watching his mom and trying to create the same masterpieces. The whole image is just adorable.

"That must be nice. I'm guessing you have good art on the walls and good food in the fridge," Harry muses and Louis chuckles and nods.

"I'm living everyone's dream. You could maybe come over sometime. My dad loves cooking for new people," Louis tells him with a blush. Harry's at a loss for words, but he manages to nod his head. His cheeks are pink too and his stomach feels full of butterflies.

"I'd like that. You could maybe come to mine too? My family is having a big barbecue Saturday and my mom said I could invite some friends," Harry offers and the smile he receives from Louis makes him forget about the pain in his heart. It's so bright and gorgeous and Harry kind of forgets how to breathe because he caused that beauty.

"I'd love to come. My parents want me to get out of the house more anyways," Louis chuckles and Harry nods and swallows thickly. He doesn't even know what to say anymore.

"Oh! I have something for you," Louis exclaims and Harry jumps at the loudness of his voice and watches curiously as Louis rummages through his bag. He finally pulls out a long paper and passes it to him. It's a bookmark with flowers and animals and bright colours. Harry just looks at all the detail placed into and looks back up to him.

"You said you lost yours and that's why you fold the pages in your books. I thought you'd probably like a new one. I made it bright so you'd feel happy... I don't know," Louis rambles and Harry just smiles really big and he pulls the boy into his arms.

"Thank you," he murmurs and Louis hugs him back before pulling away and shrugging.

"All my friends have someone made by me. Thought you should too," Louis explains and Harry just looks at it again and smiles.