Thirteen.

Harry looks up wordlessly from his book as Louis continues to paint. His painting today is on underneath of the slide at their old elementary school and Harry really doesn't understand the decision to do it here. Louis told him it was artistic and that Harry wouldn't understand true creativity if it bit him in the ass.

"I'm getting cold you almost done?" Harry whispers. Talking regularly at this time of night feels weird. Everything needs to be a whisper and secret. Louis just stops what he's doing and slips his sweater off and throws it back at Harry without looking back.

"Here, Princess," he says in monotone and Harry is quick to slip it over his head. It smells of grass and paint which is oddly a Louis smell and something even odder is that Harry really likes the smell.

"I have practice tomorrow but do you want to come get pizza after? You and Zayn could come," Louis speaks again and Harry just slips in the bookmark Louis made him and closes his book.

"Pizza with your team? I don't think we'd be welcome," Harry admits with a blush. He's not popular at all especially after the incident. People don't take kindly to the killers almost boyfriend.

"I want you there so you're welcome. You help me with the whole Jeff situation," Louis whispers and Harry bites his lip and sighs.

"You know that makes no sense right? Like I should make you feel worse," Harry says and Louis finally turns to him and his blue eyes are ice, but not angry or cold. Just a beautiful ice that holds hurt.

"But you don't. You understand me. You miss someone too."

"Did you love him?" Harry can't help but ask. It's something that's been gnawing at his brain for the past few days.

"As a brother yes. It was all very platonic. I don't know if I believe in love love," Louis explains.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't."

•••

Harry sits at the table with the other soccer players and gingerly picks at his pizza. They all laugh and talk about their up and coming games and Louis joins in on occasion, but mostly he just keeps hitting Harry's feet with his own.

"Are you coming to the game next week, Harry?" Stan - a member on the team- asks. Harry looks up him his plate and gives the boy a small smile and shrug.

"I think so yeah. Maybe if I go enough I'll start to understand what's going on," Harry jokes and the boy smiles at him and Louis snorts softly.

"Louis could tell you how it works. He knows all there is to know about this game," Stan offers and Louis shrugs his shoulders.

"I could help you out if you needed it. Rule one is don't cheer when the other team gets it in our net," Louis grins and Harry rolls his eyes at the cheeky boy.

"Thanks for that. I would've never known that if you didn't tell me," Harry replies back sarcastically and Louis just gives him a crinkly eyed smile and turns back to join in on some other players conversation. Harry listens as they all talk, but he doesn't have much to add. Louis still keeps kicking his foot or gently placing his hand on Harry's thigh as they all talk and Harry relaxes at the gestures.

Finally they all pay something to the bill and get up to leave. Harry and Louis had already decided to walk home and they wave at the boys as they get into their cars. Harry takes Louis' bag from him gently and follows him along the sidewalk.

"You don't have to carry my bag," Louis tells him and Harry shrugs and keeps it on his shoulder.

"You had practice so you're probably tired. Where do you live again?" Harry questions and Louis turns down another side street and shoves his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"Opposite direction of you. You should take a right up here," Louis instructs and Harry shakes his head and continues on with Louis.

"No, I'll walk you home. So was practice okay? You seemed a little off at the end," Harry comments and Louis licks his lips as he stares down at his worn out vans. They move next to Harry's large boots on the sidewalk, the only noise is their breathing and the sound of their shoes.

"I miss him. Even more lately. He always knew what to say to me and gave me advice. I need that now and I have no one. I have no one that I automatically can pass the ball to on the field or call when I need them. It's getting harder," Louis whispers and Harry just lets the words linger in the air.

"You can always call me," Harry offers after awhile and he can see a small smile form on Louis' face.

"I can call you about the person I like?" Louis laughs and Harry shrugs.

"Why not?"

"Because it's stupid. They don't and won't like me. They love someone else. They always will," Louis scowls and Harry tilts his head.

"You don't know that. Do I know them?" He asks curiously and Louis shrugs.

"Yeah I guess," he mumbles and then he stops in front of a large house with large windows in the front. There's a large tree in the front and small flowers line the walkway. "This is my house."

Harry just nods and passes Louis' bag to him. Louis smiles and waves before he starts to walk away and Harry bites his lip before he opens his mouth.

"Lou?" He calls softly and the boy turns to face him, his features soft and tired. "Don't give up on that person. Whoever they are is lucky to have someone as great as you notice them. I can even wingman for you if you want," Harry offers and Louis just shakes his head and smiles softly.

"Maybe. Thanks for walking me home," he calls back before he opens his door and disappears.