XXI

Karsyn Sekai Miller.

"Tryna find trust in my heart, but it don't work right. Think I'm gettin' numb to the pain, 'cause it don't hurt, right." - Meek Mill

One Month Later...

"Move Onyx." I giggled, nudging him away from me.

I was at work, trying to finish replying to emails so I could leave but for the past few minutes he'd been begging me to go to dinner with him.

"You must want me to get down on my knees or something." He said, nearly sounding defeated.

Raising a brow with a sly grin, my eyes bounced between him and the floor.

"Man." He chuckled, but nonetheless, he pulled his pants up over his waist and got on his knees in front of me. "Your highness, would you please do me the honors of joining me for dinner?"

Not able to help myself, I fell into a full blown fit of laughter. "Boy, get your big ass up off the floor."

He stood. "You ain't answer my question though."

Before I could respond, my office door flew open and a very pregnant lady stormed in.

"I've been calling you all fucking day." She exclaimed, standing face to face with Onyx, who looked confused yet annoyed by her presence.

I spoke up before he got the chance to. "Um, if y'all don't mind, I have some work to finish up."

"I do fucking mind." She snapped, turning her attention to me.

Letting out a deep sigh, I counted to ten in my head. Imagine already being on the edge and a bitch walks in wanting to start with you.

"Tia, get the fuck out of here and go on somewhere. I told you not to call me until the baby was born and we could do a DNA test."

If this isn't déjà vu... I thought to myself while watching this unfold. Why the fuck did I keep attracting baby daddies?

"The baby isn't my husbands. We got the test done two weeks ago after he damn near forced me too do it. With that being said, that only leaves you. So congratulations baby daddy! And with the way he was begging you, I'm assuming you're future step mama, so how about I join you two for dinner and we all can get acquainted?"

Gently shoving her out of the door after she'd already revealed too much, Onyx glanced back at me with guilt filled eyes. Not caring too much, I shrugged and finished up my last little bit of work.

As I made my way out of the office, I could hear the pair arguing but I kept on walking, avoiding the stares that I was getting. But for the past month, that had became the norm, Onyx and I had gotten pretty close, we had lunch together often, and a lot of times he'd assisted me while I worked off site. I enjoyed his company but I tried to keep it professional despite his excessive flirting. Plus after that whole debacle, any lingering thoughts I did have about us, were long gone.

Getting settled in my car, I sat in the parking lot for a little while and responding to some messages and scrolled through social media for a while. Seeing that I was tagged in something on Instagram by a page I didn't recognize, went to it and immediately recognized the picture of Ryder and I in the club on my birthday. I was standing in front of him, my head was slightly cocked to the side, my eyes sat low and I had a small grin on my face. He was behind me with his arm draped across my chest, protectively and his face was nestled in my neck, making it hard for anyone else to recognize him.

The song Best Friend by 50 Cent was attached. Of course the scene from Get Rich or Die Tryin' popped into my head because that was one of Ryder's favorite movies. I couldn't help but simper but that didn't last long before it was replaced by a frown.