XIII

Karsyn Sekai Miller.

"Butterfly, Where you gonna go tonight? Wish I was just like you, Maybe then you'll take me high, Away from it all again, Away from my troubles and my sins, Away from the fears inside, Away from the tears I try to hide away."- Umi

"I miss my Uncle D, Auntie Karsyn." Elijah, Dimitri's nephew held my hand as we walked through the cemetery with a sullen look painted on his face.

"I do too Eli."

I was totally against the idea of coming here. But after hearing him beg me to bring him, I felt compelled to do so. At only eight years old, it took a lot for him to understand the concept of death. But I think Dimitri's family did the best they could to explain it to him.

"I heard my grandma crying one day and she said that y'all was goin' to have a baby. What happened?"

Feeling a twinge in my chest, I answered to the best of my ability. "He or she is in heaven with your uncle."

"This is the one." I said, stopping us in front of the headstone.

Dropping my hand, he sat on the ground , crossing his legs and sitting his hands in his lap.

"What do I say?" He stared up at me, water filling the wells of his light brown eyes.

I squatted next to him, rubbing his back. "Just say whatever is on your mind. He can hear everything you are saying."

I stood tall and stepped off to the side, allowing him a little bit of privacy. A few minutes had gone by and he got up and made his way to me.

"It's your turn!" He smiled, his dimples caving into his chubby cheeks. He resembled his uncle so much, right down to the deep dimples. "I'll wait right here."

Hesitantly, I took his spot. "Hey boo." I sat, tucking my legs under me, rubbing my fingers across the cold granite stone. "I miss you. So much... You said you would never leave me and you lied. It was supposed to be me and you forever. Ugh." I blew out a breath of frustration. "I want to hate you so bad for leaving me all alone. But I can't..." Before I could continue talking, it started to rain. I was kind of glad because I was getting emotional and that was the last thing I wanted.

I screamed and jumped up, grabbing Elijah by the hand we ran to the car.

Hearing him snicker, I couldn't help but join him in laughter. "You're so silly. What do you want to do next?"

I'd dedicated this whole day to him, so whatever he wanted to do, we'd do it.

He tapped his chin as if he was in deep thought. "Hmm."

I drove in the direction of the mall.

"I don't know Aunt Karsyn, we can do something that you want to do. We've done everything that I want to do."

"We can go to the mall and get a few things. That okay with you?"

"Yep. Can I get a new game controller? And can we call Genesis?"

I nodded and used the buttons on my steering wheel to call
my best friend.

"Look who finally decided to call me."

I chuckled. "Sorry. I've had a lot going on. Remind me to catch you up later. But I was calling to see if you wanted to meet me and Eli at the mall."

"Yes!" She dragged out. "I miss my little baby so much. I'll meet y'all there in maybe an hour, I have a client coming in about five minutes."

"Ok, I'll see you when you get there."

I turned up the censored radio music and made the short drive to the mall. Parking by Macy's, I helped him out of the car and we went in. I couldn't resist, so I stopped in the perfume section and got me a bottle of Joy by Dior perfume.