VII

Karysn Sekai Miller

"Though I'm not sure what's 'bout to happen next. I ask for strength from the Lord up above." - J. Cole

Three Weeks Later.

"Rose, do you have to do that every time you come in here?" My mom asked jokingly as I rearranged the decor in her foyer.

It was the designer in me.

I dropped my hands to my side. "Sorry." I giggled. "I can't help it, I saw you added some new stuff. It looks nice."

"I'm thinking about redoing this area and my living room, maybe you can help?" She asked, leading us further into the house. "Don't you start class today?"

I sat my purse on the couch and followed her outside onto the patio. "Of course. But yes, I'm so excited."

I wasn't excited about class itself but I was happy to finally be putting my plans in motion. I had a goal and I was setting out to achieve it.

"I'm proud of you for taking this step. But I've been meaning to ask how you've been, you know with the passing of Dimitri, I know he meant a lot to you."

On the outside, I was holding it together well but on the inside, Dimitri's death was eating me up. Almost every night, when I was alone, I cried myself to sleep.

"It's hard." I said, truthfully. "I wanted things to be different but I know that everything happens for a reason."

Now probably would have been the time to tell her about the abortion but Chandra Miller could be a harsh critic and I wasn't ready to deal with that yet.

She got ready to speak but was interrupted by the doorbell.

"Can you get that?" She asked. "I have to go call the office." She disappeared up the stairs.

I nodded and got up to open the door, I peeked through the window and saw Kristian's lawyer.

Unlocking the door, I opened it, a look of confusion sketched across my face. We usually communicated with him through emails and phone calls, so his visit was very unexpected.

"Karsyn, How's it going ?" He asked in his usual serious tone.

"I'm fine. How are you? Come in." I moved out of the way.

He sighed. "Well for starters, I haven't been paid in two months."

I rolled my eyes, knowing that this was just another ploy by my mother to push Kristian to the side. To her, Kristian was the problem child, the one she only tolerated because she'd birthed him. We all did bad shit but for some reason she treated Kristian differently.

"I'll get you the money. Is there anything else?"

He motioned towards the table. "Mind if we have a seat?"

"Sure." I was anxious, assuming that it had to be something bad.

We sat down across from each other and he unzipped his briefcase and pulled out a stack of papers.

"Kristian has been implicated in a double homicide and robbery by his co-conspirator in his current case but due to lack of physical evidence, I don't think the charges will stick. But in order for me to work, I need some type of payment."

"You'll get your money. And what do you mean? Why is he deciding to tell all of a sudden?"

He flipped through the papers and pulled out a sheet with some words highlighted in yellow.