🌊~8

"...and that there is the Communication Studies Department." Akunna pointed at the gray block of offices to our left. "Oh a little warning, you might want to watch out for the journalism students. They're pretty...aggressive when it comes to finding news for the university's newspaper. Seriously, they pick on the tiniest issues that happen on campus and then blow them out of proportion. So, its best if you steer clear."

"Duly noted."

My roommate and I continued on with our tour amidst the flurry of activities, that seemed to have drawn the entire student body into one place. The campus was wide and expansive, covering at least twenty-five hectares of land with lovely botanical decorations and artistically-structured buildings. With a population of over thirty thousand students, Penfield catered for the mass number by providing ten different halls of residence, scattered all over campus. The lecture theatres were incredibly huge, so was the main library and the university's very own sports complex. I hadn't said anything yet, but I was so glad Akunna persuaded me to come with him. I definitely would've gotten lost, if I had to walk these streets alone.

Moving side by side, Akunna and I strolled down a walkway sheltered by a canopy of tall green trees. A cloud of feminine chants soon sauntered past the branches, sending our attention to the right, where a group of girls were tumbling in the grass.

"Ah, if it isn't Penfield's very own cheerleading squad." Akunna came to a halt, slipping his hands into his khaki pockets. "I kind of wish that was the only thing they were known for."

The statement piqued my interest and I couldn't help asking, "What's the other thing they're known for?"

"Take a good guess, my friend." Akunna turned to me, eyes brimming with a mischievous answer that I was about to quiz him on, when someone's sudden yell stopped me.

"Yo, Akunna!"

A few metres away from where we stood was a fenced basketball court, and jogging from that direction was the blond guy I had met, right before entering my room, all dressed up in his basketball gear.

"Deon wassup," They both clasped hands, giving themselves the usual bro hug.

"Cool. Hey, I missed you at yesterday's D&D sesh," the white guy said and I noticed how his voice held a strange accent.

"Yeah, sorry about that." Akunna ran a hand through his short hair. "I had an appointment at the clinic. But don't worry, you'll definitely be seeing me tonight."

The comment seemed to have put the basketball player at ease as he nodded, then his eyes flitted to me. "Hey, you're that guy I saw earlier."

Surprised that he'd actually remembered my face, I pushed myself to speak, "Y-yeah, I'm Akwasi, Akwasi Appiah."

"He's my roommate and he just arrived today," Akunna added up. "Akwasi, this is Deon Watson, my South African brother from another mother. He lives three doors away from us."

Oh, that explains the accent.

Deon grinned, extending a hand. "Welcome to OBH, bruh."

"OBH?" I quirked up an eyebrow.

"It's an abbreviation for our hall. Osei-Boateng Hall."

"Oh yeah." Feeling embarrassed, I couldn't stop a nervous chuckle from seeping past my lips. Deon didn't seem to mind though.

"Since you're Akunna's roommate, I guess we'll be seeing each other often. We usually hang out a lot. We're both taking the same minor courses and we're the creators of our hall's resident gamers group. You can join if you want."