🌊~45

"Bro, you were terrific out there!" Seth yelled in complete exhilaration. "Your form! God! Your form was super perfect throughout the entire race, that it kind of made me wish I was in there, swimming alongside you."

"Really?" I yanked my goggles and swim cap off as we made our way through the corridors.

"Yeah." He nodded, then solemnity touched his features. "I didn't want to say anything initially but... for the past three days, I've been thinking about quitting the team."

My eyes widened.

"Seeing you in action today made me change my mind," he quickly added with a smile.

I tried my best to return it. "I'm flattered, Seth but... I don't get it. Why would you even think of quitting, when you're one of the best backstroke swimmers we have? I've seen you in action several times and you're really good."

"I know." Seth shrugged. "But it's hard to be appreciated for it when there's someone better, casting a large shadow over you."

Even without mentioning his name, I knew exactly who he was talking about.

"I've been a part of the team for about two years now, and within those two years, Ethan has been the center of attention. He wins all the time, even on the days that he doesn't make much effort. The only person who gave him a ran for his money was Daniel, and even he didn't last long on the team. When I sat down to think about all these things," his shoulders sagged with a sigh, "it made me realise that as long as I'm on the team, I'm going to remain in Ethan's shadow forever. But seeing you today, battling Ethan, it changed my perspective."

He turned to me. "It showed me that no matter how good a person is, there's always someone better than him out there. And that person is you, Akwasi." He stopped to place a wide hand on my shoulder. "You have what it takes to beat Ethan, and because of you, I'm not going to quit the team. I want to be by your side when you win, and I want to do whatever it takes to reach your level. Don't let me down, brother."

Taking his hand off my shoulder, I clasped it in a firm handshake. "I won't. You have my word."

When I first met Seth, I didn't like him at all. He reminded me of those big, burly guys who used to bully me in primary school, and it didn't help when he said I wouldn't make the team because I was too frail and skinny.

But to have someone who made such a comment, stand in front of me today, saying that I have what it takes to beat Ethan, filled my heart with nothing but warmth. Indirectly, Seth had taken back his previous words. He didn't see me as a frail and skinny guy anymore. He had acknowledged me as a great swimmer, one that had the potential to exceed Ethan's capabilities. And because he'd pointed that out to me, I made a promise in my head to never let him or any of my friends down.

They believed in me, they believed in my swimming, and I had to do whatever takes to meet their expectations.

I pulled Seth into a hug, slapping his back so hard that it startled him, then he laughed, "Please don't slap my lungs out, I beg you."

Laughing, I let go off him.

"C'mon, I'll walk you to the locker room. There are some other guys I need to congratulate."

Arms draped across each other's shoulders, we strolled over to our destination and pushed past the doors, only to find utter disarray.

"What's going on?" I slipped away from Seth's side, pushing past the guys standing in front of me. My eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. "What the fuck, Ethan!"

Using a crowbar, Ethan had pried my locker door off its hinges and was busily raking out all my belongings. My underwear, shower bag, swim gear and a couple of toiletries were all strewn across the tiled floor, when I jumped over the bench and grabbed Ethan's arm, stopping him from sending the crowbar on another journey through my locker.