🌊~19

The following week

Dressed in my swim jammers and the Penfield's Sharks jacket, I sat in the waiting area amidst twenty-four other members of the team, who were participating in the swim meet.

I unfolded the heat sheet in my hand. Coach Sarah had signed me up for two events; breaststroke and one medley relay. Just thinking about them made sweat seep out of my pores.

"Nervous huh?"

My eyes darted up to find Princess standing before me and I mumbled, "You have no idea." This was officially going to be my first time representing Penfield in a competition. I would be lying if I said anxiety wasn't squashing up my heart right now.

"Here," Princess handed over a bottle of Lucozade. "It should help you feel pumped up."

"Thanks." I unscrewed the cap and took a sip. That was when an announcement filtered out of the tv on the wall.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the first heat is about to begin. We're starting with the 100meter male backstroke, so swimmers please find your lanes."

The footage then switched to the corridor that led to the locker rooms. Seth stepped out first, waving and throwing kisses in the air as if he'd already won the heat. Swimmers from other competing teams trailed out too, sending him the stink eye, but Seth didn't give a hoot. He was too busy wowing the crowd with a series of back flips.

"Oii, this boy," Princess rubbed her temples and I chuckled, secretly wishing I had just a tiny bit of his confidence.

After stretching, swimmers took their position in the water, holding on to the metallic railing of their respective block. Since backstroke was the only swim style that required swimmers to be on their back, it had to start with the swimmers in the pool and clutching on to the starting block's railing. All the other swim styles began on top of the starting block with swimmers bent over.

The camera soon moved to the competitors, capturing each of their tensed faces on the screen. Seth's was the fifth to show up. His lips were pressed tight, gripping the railing and drawing in steady breaths. Seth was a very jovial person, always cracking jokes at someone's expense during practice. So seeing him this serious felt awkward, but then again this wasn't a time for silly stuff. It was the first heat of the competition. Pressure was riding on him.

"Ready!"

The entire court fell silent with anticipation.

Beep!

Water splashed and soon all swimmers were streamlining through the water. They later emerged on the surface, face up and began extending their arms, moving them outward whilst simultaneously kicking their feet. A mountain of cheers flooded my eardrums as the swimmers took their turn.

"C'mon bro," Ethan urged, staring up at the screen. "You can do this."

And he was definitely proving that he could. As they fought past water to return to their starting blocks, Seth had managed to put himself in second place, but was gradually bypassing the swimmer who was before him. Speeding up the movement of his arms and coupled with strong kicks, Seth quickly touched the tile.

"Yes!" A thunderous shout of joy erupted around me and I couldn't help but join in. By winning the first meet, Seth had qualified for the next backstroke heat. That had to mean something, an omen that Penfield's Sharks already had this in the bag.

Time whizzed on with heat after heat. I watched my fellow teammates bring victory to Penfield, straining muscles and scouring through water. And not long after, it was my turn.

Standing outside the locker rooms with my competitors, I attempted a few stretches, prepping myself for the race.

"At this point, you're basically radiating tension." Princess stalked towards me, arms folded. Thirty minutes ago, she'd emerged winner for the 100meter female breaststroke event, automatically signing herself up for the regional meet. She had done Penfield proud. I could only hope to do same.