🌊~44

"Swimmers, on your marks!"

Mounting block number 3, I pulled my goggles over my eyes, ready to shred through water in the mens 200meter individual medley.

Ethan flexed his muscles beside me on block 4.

It didn't take much to notice the cocky grin on his face. He radiated confidence. But what he didn't know, was that I was about to steal this win from him.

"Get set!"

I bent low, holding the starting block. "May the best swimmer win."

"Thanks," Ethan smiled. "I will."

Beep!

We both launched forward at the same time, streamlining through crystal clear water, before resurface to begin our strokes.

My hands cut through the mass of liquid with butterfly. Ethan slipped past me like a shark spotting its prey, and I tried my best not to focus on him. He might have started off strong, but at some point, he'll get tired and that will be the perfect opportunity to strike.

I kept my pace behind him, hearing the crowd cheer along with the rapid splash of water. Throughout my laps with backstroke and breaststroke, I maintained my position behind Ethan. But the moment we hit the turn and switched to freestyle, I changed tactics, zooming through the water till I was at par with Ethan.

No one else was beside us. It was just me and him.

Ethan noticed and tried picking up the pace, so did I, slashing through water like a turbine. The wall was close. It was gradually within reach, and in an attempt to touch it first, I dashed past Ethan, splaying my hands on the flat, cold surface before the piercing beep signaled the end of the race.

Panting, I yanked my goggles off and let my eyes fly over to the scoreboard.

1st place || Akwasi Appiah || 1:15

Yes! I slapped a fist over the water. I knew I could do it. The crowd went wild, filling the atmosphere with loud chants and cheers.

Ethan gazed at the scoreboard, totally baffled by the fact that I managed to put a whole five seconds gap between us in just a short amount of time. He didn't say anything when he turned to congratulate me, but I could see the shock in his eyes and it made me smile.

Swimming underneath the lane dividers, I pulled myself out of the pool and waved at the adoring crowd. My eyes moved over to where my friends sat. Akunna and the rest of the gang were all up on their feet, cheering their hearts out, but the first person I locked eyes with was Shola, who didn't hesitate to blow me a kiss. I chuckled and sent one out in return, making a couple of first year girls squeal with excitement.

I grabbed my towel and was about to head back into the lounge, when a familiar "Hey bestie" made me pivot, just in time to catch Princess' arms from wrapping themselves round my torso.

"Haven't I told you to stop doing that?" Pushing her hands down, I secretly hoped Shola hadn't seen us. I thanked my lucky stars when I lifted my head to see her engaged in a conversation with Nadia.

"Hey, why so grumpy?" Princess hit my bare shoulder. "It's just a hug." She lurched forward again.

This time, I stepped back and swatted her arm away. "I said stop it!"

The command must've gone through one ear and out the other, because no matter how many times I swatted and pushed her away, Princess still wouldn't give up.

"C'mon, Akwasi." Her arm touched my side and I quickly pushed it down. "It's just a sweet bear hug."

"I don't want your hugs!" I sniped, taking another step back into the corridor, leading to the locker rooms.