🌊~13

Fully clothed, I stepped out of the Sports Complex, quietly making my way back to the hall.

Dusk had begun to set in, leaving the sky in a varying shade of blue, yellow and orange. The wind picked up for a moment, whirling a number of leaves and biting into my skin.

Seeking warmth, I shoved my hands into my pockets. My right hand soon discovered my phone, and I pulled it out, eyes landing on a text message from an unknown number. I opened it in the next minute.

Hii, Akwasi. This is Shola from the engineering club😁

My heart skipped a beat as my feet came to a halt.

Shola sent me a message. Shola fricking sent me a message!

And even though it was just a simple text, my palms started getting sweaty.

I just wanted to remind you of our first meeting for the semester. It'll be at 6:30pm in LT 14 of the School of Engineering Science building.
Hope to see you there😊

"6:30?" My eyes darted up to the time on the notification bar. '06:45' stared back at me in white.

Crap! Turning on my heel, I bolted in the opposite direction of my hall, past the Sports Complex. "Great way to make a first impression, Akwasi," I mumbled under my breath.

By the time I reached the Science building, it was 6:50. Obviously, I was late and should just give it up and return to the hall, but Shola was expecting me and I didn't want to disappoint. Rushing up the stairs, I ignored my irregular beating heart and swiped the sweat beads off my forehead as I began my search for the club's venue. After wandering through a series of hallways and following numbered rooms, I finally arrived at the small box-shaped room labelled LT 14.

A well-built guy with a prominent cleft in his chin, and sick sideburns was standing in front of the room along with six other people, including Shola. Even though he was talking animatedly about something, half of his audience didn't seem to be listening because as soon as the back door creaked open, they all turn to me. "Sorry," I mumbled, quickly fixing myself in the last row at the back.

Shola's eyes flickered over to me, beaming with a smile. She sent me a small wave and I shot her one in return.

"Aahem!" The guy who was speaking earlier cleared his throat loudly, eyes darting from me to Shola. "Presdo, care to take us through the semester's programme outline?"

"Of course." Shola flitted up, unperturbed by the inquisitive look on the guy's face. As he stepped down, his eyes lingered on me for a while and I frowned, wondering, is he her boyfriend or something?

"Ok!" Shola's voice yanked my attention back to her. "It is my pleasure to present to you the amazing list of activities we have planned for the semester." She handed out a stack of papers which were distributed amongst us. I grabbed a sheet, analysing the content.

"I hope we get to go through every activity on the list, cuz we're trying to switch things up a little," Shola continued. "Instead of fixing all the club's activities on one engineering field, we're making sure that each of our activities for this semester tackle at least two fields of engineering, this way no one will feel left out. For example," she picked up her paper, "next week, we have planned a 'Save The Planet Forum', where we'll brainstorm ideas from all engineering fields to help preserve Mother Nature. The week after that, we have a scheduled trip to the Akosombo Dam-"

"And Nestle Ghana." the guy from earlier added. "Heard they have a company around that place."

Shola quirked up an eyebrow, crossing her arms. "Our patron hasn't approved of that trip, Mawuli, you know that."