🌊~49

Though the security men let us go after the rain had died down, they still informed Coach Sarah and the entire Sports management about our fight.

So I wasn't surprised when I was summoned by Penfield's Disciplinary board to report to the administration block early Monday morning.

The word was finally out that Akunna's death was caused by misuse of drugs. The police, after conducting an autopsy, revealed that the cocaine Akunna had unknowingly consumed, reacted with the diabetes medication in his bloodstream and that resulted in his seizure.

To think that all this happened because Ethan, my so-called childhood best friend, was trying to drug me, but ended up killing my roommate made my blood boil. How could he be this cruel and selfish?

The large antique clock on top of the wall let out a soft ping the moment it struck eight. I had already faced the disciplinary board earlier with my account of what had happened. Ethan was currently in there, dishing out his tale, which I already knew was going to be riddled with lies so no one would suspect him.

When it came to crafting convincing stories, Ethan was as cunning as a fox.

The doors to the boardroom swung open and out stepped Ethan and his pot-bellied dad.

At some point during my narration session, the Mayor of Accra suddenly barged into the boardroom, demanding that I should be expelled for beating up his son. Of course, the members of the disciplinary board had him escorted out, but not before he threw me a nasty look of disdain, like the one he was shooting my way right now.

It was only when Coach Sarah, along with Detective Frimpong, who was in charge of Akunna's case, appeared at his side that he peeled his gaze off me. The three of them exchanged a few words, then the Mayor and his son parted ways.

"Akwasi."

The familiar voice had me turning to find Mr. Ignatius Dery, the man who had granted me the opportunity to study in Penfield. "Sir." I stood up.

"I heard everything, son." He gave me a gentle pat on my shoulder. "Sit down and tell me how you're feeling."

"Honestly." I plummeted back down on the seat. "I feel worse than I've ever felt in my whole life." And as Coach Sarah and Detective Frimpong drew closer, the feeling swelled in size.

"What's the verdict?" I quizzed, trying to ignore my racing heart.

"Well..." Coach Sarah began. "Thanks to your impeccable track record on the swim team, as well as your good academic performances, the board denied the Mayor's request to have you expelled. However, they put you on probation. One more fight and nothing is going to stop them from expelling you."

Relief traveled through my veins. "What about Ethan?"

The look Coach shared with the Detective made me shoot up like lightning.

"Please don't tell me they're allowing him to go scot-free?"

The tall, dark-skinned detective scratched his beard before speaking. "Since everything you said was merely an accusation, the board didn't see the need to punish Ethan."

"But he drugged Akunna!"

"Do you have proof?"

"No, but he was at the party!"

"A lot of people were at the party, " the Detective stated, then laid a hand on my shoulder. "Look kid, I know you're upset that your friend died, but you can't go round, pointing fingers at random people because you think they had something to do with it."

"Think?" I immediately shook his hand off. "I don't think! I know he had something to do with it! He admitted it during the fight!"

"Look, as far as I know..." the Detective slid his hands into his pockets, assuming a casual posture. "Ethan barely knew Akunna. He wasn't even on the swim team or any other sports team for that matter. So it doesn't make sense that Ethan would try to drug him. Until there's actual proof that he did something foul, we can't accuse Ethan of anything."