🌊~53

Koforidua, Ghana

In memory of
Theodore Akunna Williams

Loving son, brother, and friend

Sunrise
3rd August 2003

Sunset
20th July 2021

They can no longer die; for they are like the angels ~ Luke 20:36

"Hey, buddy." My eyes glazed over the writings on the headstone. "Sorry I couldn't attend your burial. A lot has happened this past month."

I pushed my hands into my pocket. "Umm... Ethan is now in jail, along with Princess and Nana Kwame. They're going to be in there for a long time. Ethan's dad tried to get him out, but it hasn't been easy for him. He almost lost his position as Mayor."

I scratched the back of my head. "Umm... I also quit the swim team. Deon thinks I shouldn't have but... I think it's for the best. That team caused me a lot of trouble. But anyway..." I shrugged. "I'm still swimming competitively. It's part of why I'm here, to tell you the good news. Even after I rejected the win and the title, I got recruited into the National Swim Team! Can you believe it?"

Only the wind came as a reply.

I could still picture him in my head though, feigning disinterest in everything sports-related, and it made me smile. "I know you think it's not a big deal, but to me it is. It's a chance to start a profitable career in something I've always loved to do. I'm still working towards earning my degree in mechanical engineering, and I'm also making plans to open an automobile shop once I'm done with school. Shola thinks it's an awesome idea and she's willing to help me out the best way she can. Speaking of her..." my grin expanded. "Today is three months since we started dating, and I swear, I learn something new about her every single day. It's like she's a walking encyclopedia," a chuckle burst past my lips. "But I still love her, I love her more than anything else in the world and I'm grateful to have her in my life. It's all thanks to you, Akunna."

I stared at the fairly new headstone.

"Not only did you introduce me to the love of my life, but you also showed me what true friendship meant. You encouraged me to go after the things I wanted and you were always there to help me back up, any time I fell," I paused, "You are the greatest friend I have ever made in my life, and though I still wish every single day, that I'd met you sooner, I appreciate the short time we both spent together. No one can ever replace you in my heart, Akunna Williams... that's how much you mean to me."

"Ahem."

My head turned to find Shola and Deon standing behind me. In Shola's hands was the wreath we had bought on our way here. It was an assortment of vibrant green chrysanthemums and lilacs. I could immediately see why Shola picked that one. Green was Akunna's favourite colour.

"Hope we're not interrupting?" Deon asked.

"No, not at all, go ahead."

I stepped back so Shola could have enough access to lay the wreath against the headstone. Then she retreated to my side, slipping an arm around my back. My arm curved on her shoulders in return. Deon stood on my right; hands tucked into his pocket.

"Do you think he likes them?" Shola asked after a while.

"It's a whole lot of green, so yeah, he definitely likes them," Deon chuckled.

A soft breeze came our way, and I took it as Akunna's way of saying thank you for the flowers.

It was the least we could do for everything he'd done in our lives. He brought us joy, laughter, and friendship. He reminded us that no wealth, title, or material thing is more important than the bonds you form with people.

"I didn't want to say this," Deon mumbled, trying to blink back tears. "But I'm really really going to miss this guy."

"We all are, dude." I patted him on the shoulder before allowing my eyes to move back to the headstone.

"So long, brother." The words wafted softly out of my mouth. "Until we met again, farewell."

Slowly, all three of us made our way out of the cemetery, ready to live our best lives with the memory of Theodore Akunna Williams in our hearts.

The End

******
And that's a wrap on another story! Thank you so much everyone for your countless reads and continuous support. As an undiscovered writer here on Wattpad, I'm beyond elated to see my books capture the attention of readers, despite my amateur writing skills.

Now that Penfield's Greatest Swimmer is complete, I'm moving on to my next work in progress, that's A Perfect Harmony. If you're a lover of music and romance, you'll love this one. The first 8 chapters are already up. Updates will begin God willing next week Friday, so kindly stay tuned.

Once again, thank you so much for your loyal readership. I really appreciate it!