🌊~14

I had to say, my first week here in Penfield University felt like I was running track. Running from class after class to group studies then to club meetings and back. It was like a never-ending marathon.

Despite all the draining activities, one good thing that happened during the week was seeing my name on the top of the list of swim team recruits. I had successfully made the cut and was now a full-fledged member of Penfield's Sharks with an official jacket, swim jammers and other accessories to show off.

As I made my way towards the Sports Complex, sports bag in hand and the hot Friday afternoon sun blazing down on my shoulders, I filled my mother and sister in on what I'd managed to accomplish during my first week.

"Oh I'm so happy you're fitting in, Akwasi. To be honest, I was a bit worried since you didn't want the scholarship in the first place," Ma said in a voice that held all the signs of a really bad cold, but instead of admitting it when I asked about it, she just brushed the question away. "Keep doing the best you can ok? Kukua and I will always be supporting you with prayers."

I heard my little sister shout out an 'I miss you!' in the background and I chuckled, "Miss you too, Kuks."

"Ok Akwasi," Ma breathed out. "I have to go. I need to make one last dash to the market to finish up my sales for today. These fishes cannot go to waste."

"No problem, Ma. But please promise me you'll go to the pharmacy to get some medicine. Your cold sounds really bad. If you need some money, I can tell W-"

"Stop worrying about it, Akwasi," she huffed. "You focus on school and your studies. I'll be fine. Talk to you some other time, ok. Byee."

A reluctant "bye" left my mouth before I brought the phone down and ended the call with a sigh. Sometimes, Ma was just too stubborn. Shoving my phone into my pocket, I branched to my left, nearing Penfield's Sports Complex.

"Akwasi!"

At the sound of my name, my head shifted in that direction. Deon waved enthusiastically from the otherside of the street with Akunna lagging in the rear. The sea of students pouring out of the lecture hall behind them told me they'd just closed from one of the classes they had together.

"Hey," Deon heaved once he'd crossed the street and now stood in front of me. "Akunna just told me you made the swim team. Congratulations, bro!"

"Oh thanks." After giving me a handshake and a pat on the back, we pulled apart.

"Great." Akunna joined us, sucking on a lollipop. "Now you get to spend more time with those arrogant douchebags."

"Oh c'mon don't be like that." Deon shoved him slightly. "The least you can do is to be happy for your roommate. Being on the varsity team is a huge deal. They're like Penfield royalty, plus I heard they throw the biggest parties on campus, especially when they win something. You better invite us to a couple of them when The Sharks win a competition."

I laughed, "Don't worry, Deon, I will."

"Whatever." My roommate shoved his lollipop to the side of his mouth, eyes moving to me. "You coming for tonight's gaming sesh or not?"

"Yeah, I'll be there right after practice."

The response seemed to have lightened up Akunna's mood because he smiled. My roommate held some sort of dislike for the varsity team. When I asked him about it the other day, he didn't hesitate to give me a lecture on how the university's management treated athletes like gods when half of them were struggling to maintain a simple 2.0 CPGA.

"Just take a look at the Sports Complex," he had grumbled that day, when we were making our way to the student cafeteria for lunch. "The university has so much money to spend in building such a facility, but doesn't have a dime to renovate the chemistry lab? Just thinking about it makes me feel like going to the administration and smashing their heads."