TWENTY-FOUR

TWENTY-FOUR
LILAH

How did we get here?

I stare at Ollie who sits on the other side of the jet, glaring out the window.

This short trip to Paris was meant to be good for us, it was meant to be an escape from reality.

Can I blame him for being angry? No.

"Baby what?" He crouches down and whispers.

A shaky breath leaves my lips and I bite my bottom lip.

"Lilah baby, talk to me," A worried expression is on his face and he grasps hold of my hands gently.

My heart begins to beat harshly against my chest as I hold back another sob.

Overthinking will be my downfall one day.

"What do you mean there's no happy ending for us?" He questions, his voice cracking. "My uncle and I are going to help you, we're going to get a happy ending, beautiful." He squeezes my hands, giving me a pleading look.

I shake my head.

"You don't understand, h-his parents —"

"What? Will kill me?" He scoffs and my face falls. "They're not going to kill me, they won't even get the chance and they most certainly are not going to lay a fucking finger on you. Do you think I can't protect you? Is that it?" He stands up and looks down at me with a small frown.

"It's not that. I know you can protect me, Ollie but I don't think it's fair for me to drag you into all this mess where you could possibly get hurt." I try to reason with him but he shakes his head in disbelief.

"Really, Lilah? After we tell each other we love one another you decide to push me away." He chuckles lightly but there is no humour in his voice or on his face. "You're not stupid, I know you're not so why are you saying this shit?"

He's angry.

I've never seen Ollie so angry before and I'm the reason because of it.

I can't help but feel scared that something bad might happen to him and then it will be my fault. I've dragged an innocent man into my shambolic marriage.

"I just don't want you to —"

"Enough! I don't know how to convince you that I would do whatever it takes to get you out of this marriage. I'm in love with you, Lilah! I'd do anything!" He exclaims.

He inhales a sharp breath before running his hands over his face.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, looking down at my lap. "I'm just scared." I sniffle and hear him sigh before he crouches back down in front of me.

"I would never let anything or anyone hurt you." He whispers, reaching forward to wipe away my tears. "Please, Lilah. Stop this rational thinking and trust me."

"I do trust you, Ollie. It's the others I don't trust." I grab hold of his wrists as he gently holds my face.

"Nothing is going to happen, my sweet girl." He gives me his heartwarming smile and I can't help but smile also.

But then my phone rings.

At this time?!

I pick my phone up and my body freezes when I see the caller ID is Dale.

I answer, lifting the phone to my ear with a shaky hand.

"Hello?"

"Where are you, Lilah?" He questions in a low threatening tone that has my whole body shivering. "Don't even think of lying to me. You're with him aren't you?"

My eyes widen and I can feel the blood begin to rush through my body.

Ollie grabs my phone and puts it on loudspeaker.

"Who? I don't know what you mean, Dale." I whisper.

"You're fucking my boss aren't you, you fucking whore?!" He shouts down the phone and it has Ollie's fists clenching.

I frantically shake my head, silently telling him not to say anything.

"I don't know what you're accusing me of, Dale but I would never do that." I say, trying to not let my voice waver.

"You better get back home, Lilah in the next twenty-four hours or I promise you'll fucking regret it." He growls out before hanging up.

I gulp as we now sit in silence.

"That's not happening." Ollie simply states, placing my phone gently back on the table. "Not fucking happening." He mumbles and I sigh.

"Ollie -"

"No, Lilah! You're not going back there!" I run my hands down my face and stand up, walking back into the hotel room.

Our poor neighbours have probably heard it all now from us.

"Lilah." Ollie grabs my hand and spins me round to face him. "I'm not letting you go back to that idiot just to let him hurt you. I won't forgive myself if he lays a hand on you, baby."

"He can't find out about us, Ollie. I need to get back home." I plead with him, beginning to pack my stuff.

"No."

"I'm going to go with or without you." I pause and his face falls at my words.

He lightly shakes his head and then begins to pack.

That's how I now find myself on the opposite side of him on the jet as I watch him glare out the window.

We haven't spoken for at least three hours now.

I know he's mad at me but I need him to understand that if Dale were to find out — to which I think he already has — I could be in a lot of trouble.

"Ollie?" I question and I watch as his jaw clenches.

He ignores me.

•••

"Thank you for dropping me off." I whisper as I climb out of Ollie's car.

He only nods.

I told him to drop me round the corner of my house just in case Dale spots us.

"I love you and I'm sorry." My heart cracks a little when he doesn't say it back.

I shut the door and watch as he speeds off.

My eyes begin to water and I muffle a sob against my hand.

Why does my life have to be so complicated?

I compose myself before walking into my house. Dale is home — his car is in the drive.

The silence of the house has my heart racing and my palms sweating. I know he's in here.

A scream escapes my lips when the light turns on and Dale walks over to me.

"You're gonna tell me exactly where you've been, Lilah or so God help me I will kill you myself." A whimper escapes my lips when he grabs my wrist tightly.

A/N
Oh noooo......our table........is broken 💕