THIRTY-FIVE

THIRTY-FIVE
LILAH

"Lilah." My mother whispered with tears in her eyes.

My jaw clenches and I inhale a deep breath. I haven't seen my parent's for at least two years. I can't help but resent them for what they put me through.

"Please say something." My father whispered but I couldn't think of anything to say.

They reached out to me first because they wanted to meet and I agreed — but now I regret it.

"What do you want me to say? You sold your child to a bunch of scumbags for what? What did you gain from this?" I whispered leaning forward and a look of shame is etched onto their faces.

"We were cowards, Lilah and we are sorry for putting you in so much danger." My mother sighed and I furrow my eyebrows.

"You made me think that we were in debt! I felt sorry for you, I sacrificed my happiness because I thought that you were in trouble but in reality you were just being threatened by people that have put the man I love in hospital!" I shouted, feeing the tears begin to pour down my face at the thought of my Ollie.

The stress has really started to take a toll on me and I don't know how much more of it I can take.

"We've let you down sweetie and we will spend the rest of our lives apologising. I hate myself for what we've done to you." My mother reaches out to grab hold of my hands but I pull away.

"It's going to take a long time for me to forgive you. It hurts that you gave me up so easily, I don't hate you but that doesn't stop me from being angry with you." I explained and the both of them nod their head in understanding.

"We will work hard for you forgiveness, we wouldn't want to miss being in our grandchildren's lives." My mother sniffled, dabbing her cheeks with a tissue and just on cue my little Greyson peaks his head through the door to the living room.

"Mama." He whispers and I open my arms up for him. The little boy doesn't hesitate to run over to me and I lift him up onto my lap.

He casts a curious glance to my parent's before burying his face into the crook of my neck.

Of course my parent's now know about Ollie and our son but what they don't know is how I'm moving to Barbados tomorrow.

"I need to tell you both something." I tell them, stroking Greyson's curly hair. "Greyson and I are moving to Barbados.....tomorrow." Both their eyes widened before a look of disappointment morphed onto their faces.

"Oh."

"It's what's best for me and Greyson at the moment. We can keep in touch." I offered out to them and they both nod.

"That's fine. If it's what's best for you, then that's all that matters." My mother smiled gently. "We love you and Greyson very much and we are very sorry about Ollie."

My heart cracks slightly every time his name is mentioned and as each day goes by the harder it gets.

"We need to get going." I whispered.

"We're here for you, Lilah." They both pulled me into a tight hug and I couldn't help but cry.

That was three months ago and I'm nearly seven months pregnant.

"Mama, look at me!" Greyson beams as I watch him play in the pool.

"You're such a good swimmer!" I clap my hands and he smiles brightly at my praise.

He continues to splash around for another twenty minutes before climbing out of the pool. I watch as he puts his new glasses on and I try not to cry at how he looks like the miniature version of Ollie.

"Now I can see." He whispers with a small smile and I bite my lip. "Are you okay, mummy?" He tilts his head, his smile falling as he walks over to me.

I sniffle and nod my head.

"I'm okay, baby." I kneel down in front of him and run my hands through his damp hair. "We're going to be okay." I lean down to kiss his forehead and my heart bursts when he returns the gesture.

"Can we — can we go to Vincent's restaurant today for dinner?" Greyson tilts his head and I laugh lightly but nod my head.

"We can go as soon as I've got a call from your uncle." I tell him and his smile brightens before he nods his head.

Nasir refuses to tell me about Ollie's condition so as of right now I don't even know if he's alive. I can't even get in contact with the hospital that he's in.

Stress isn't good for the baby, so I've been trying to keep calm with everything but Nasir is making my patience wear very thin.

I pick up the phone straight away when Nasir calls.

"Tell me." I instantly say, not bothering to give the man a polite greeting.

"Lilah—

"No! You do this all the time, Nasir. Just tell me is Ollie alive or not? You've been keeping me in the dark for too long. Don't you think I deserve to know since I'm the mother of his children?" I whisper harshly so Greyson won't hear.

I catch onto Nasir sighing down the phone and I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"You know I can't say much, Lilah. Look I've sorted everything out, Dale's parents are dead and you're safe. That's what Ollie would have wanted if —"

"Would have? If?" My lip begins to tremble. "When Nasir?"

"Darling, stop —"

"You know what Nasir, I'm so tired of this, fuck your explanation! Thanks for telling me." I hiss down the phone before hanging up.

I drop my phone and muffle my cries with a shaky hand.

He's gone.

•••

"What's got you down in the dumps?" Vincent questions me and I sigh looking up at the older dark-skinned man who has his dreads tied up into a bun.

His face falls slightly when he sees the state of me. I've been a crying mess and poor Greyson thinks it's because the baby keeps kicking my stomach when in reality I'm trying to figure out how to tell him his father is dead.

"I'm sorry." I don't even have to say anything for Vincent to know what's happened.

Him and his wife have helped me a lot since I moved here and I couldn't be any more grateful for them both but as of right now I feel alone.

"I just don't know what to do." I rub my hands up and down my face.

I look over at Greyson who is too occupied in a colouring book and sipping his pineapple juice.

"We've got you, you're not alone. Let me make you a drink - non alcoholic." He looks down at my belly with a small smile.

"I'm going to step outside for a second. Can you look after Greyson?" Vincent nods and I climb off of the stool and walk out of the Caribbean styled restaurant which is lit up with fairy lights.

I lean against the wall, clenching my eyes shut and finally let out the sob that I've been holding in. My cries only worsen as everything hits me at once.

My Ollie is dead and I wasn't there for him.

"Fuck." I sniffle and rub my eyes.

Then my chest tightens and I find myself struggling to breathe.

I try and I try to get my breathing under control but my chest begins to burn.

"Deep breaths."

I freeze.

A/N
😪💕